Medieval (Byzantine) Greek Reading Group
An informal group that meets on Wednesdays at 5:15 in a friendly and supportive environment to read medieval (Byzantine) Greek texts. Anyone with any knowledge of Greek is welcome. We generally finish around 6:30 and most continue the discussion over a pizza/pasta and glass of wine in Lygon St.
Wednesday 29 February at 5:15.
John Medley Building, East Tower, Ground Floor, Room EG64 (formerly G25)
We will start at 255.287 (396.17): Ὅτι δὲ ὁ Χριστὸς αὐτοῖς ...
|Ked 391-399 - English (DOCX)||Ked 391-399 Gr (PDF)|
Ked 391-399 Gr (DOCX)
- Australian Association of Byzantine Studies
- AABS 19th Conference: Dreams, Memory and Imagination in Byzantium
- G.W.H. Lampe, A Patristic Greek Lexicon (OUP 1961) - choose the .pdf version (very big: 176 MB)
- Liddell & Scott's Greek-English Lexicon can be searched on the Thesauras Linguae Graecae website
and on the Perseus Digital Library, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, a Greek-English Lexicon web page.
- Perseus search tools
- Those with unimelb library access can visit the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae online
- where the spelling is Cedrenus.
John Burke's current favourite free polytonic unicode Greek font is Gentium.
Interactive map of Constantinople by Emanuel Nicolescu and Linda Safran.
- Time-Life reconstruction: MapTimeLife.jpg (982KB).
- Gates, roads, districts (2.34 MB)
- Byzantine Constantinople (Hubert for Van Millingen) (MapVanMillingen.png, 254 KB)
- and a few more...
- The new critical edition of Kedrenos, by Luigi Tartaglia, Georgii Cedreni Historiarum Compendium (Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, 2016), in two volumes, can be purchased online from Bardi Edizioni.
- Bekker's edition of Kedrenos can be read online or downloaded from Google Books (pdf format, very large files - about 50 MB each) Volume 1 and Volume 2.
- PDF of Vol.1 to Vol.2 p. 43 (where Skylitzes starts) (Ked1-2.43.pdf, 1.06 MB)
- Microsoft Word in unicode font, zipped (KedTLGunicode.doc.zip, 1.12 MB)
Remember: these documents are for private study only and may not be published.