First time enrolment

I have received an offer. Now what?

Congratulations! The first thing you must do is accept, decline or apply to defer your offer. You can accept, decline or defer your offer at the online enrolment website. You must complete this process by Friday 14 February 2014. Otherwise your offer will lapse.

You will also receive an offer letter; this letter will tell you to attend the Academic Advice Day which will assist you in planning your enrolment.

Before Academic Advice Day

A Welcome Webinar was held on Tuesday 21 January 2014. The session is an important part of your enrolment and helps you to understand your course structure, rules and subject options. You can watch the recording below. We also have a series of videos on the Arts study areas you can watch to get a better insight on what you can study in the BA from the academics themselves.

Watch videos on the Arts study areas

For those students who wish to attend, a face to face welcome will be offered on Academic Advice Day Thursday 20 February 2014. To attend this session you must register as places are limited, we ask that parents do not attend this session due to seat restrictions. You can register for the Welcome Session on the Academic Advice Day - Welcome Session 2014 web page. Registration is open for this event.

Webinar recording

When should I come into the University?

After you have viewed Welcome Webinar above, you need to attend Academic Advice Day 2 at the Parkville campus on Thursday 20 February 2014. Please note that if you participated in Academic Advice Day 1, there is no need to attend Academic Advice Day 2. It is very important that you attend on this day as all the information you will need to plan your studies will be available, including:

  • Lecture sessions on all the Arts disciplines
  • Information sessions on concurrent diplomas
  • Information sessions on course structure
  • Small group appointments with student advisors of the Arts Student Centre throughout the week

A full list of Arts lecture sessions held on Academic Advice Day 2 can be accessed on the Arts Academic Advice Day program:

academic_advice_day_2_2014.pdf(230.85 KB)

You can register for the Welcome Session on the Academic Advice Day - Welcome Session 2014 web page. Registration is open for this event.

How do I book an appointment with an Arts student advisor?

You can book an advice appointment using the link below. You can only book a student advice appointment once you have accepted your offer. When making an appointment to talk about general issues like enrolling, subjects selections etc. please select the Events tab from the top blue menu. If you need to make an Advanced Standing (or credit) appointment please use the quick link on the right of the page and Request New Appointment, the appointment type to select is Arts then BA Credit/Advanced Standing Application. You can drop into the Arts Student Centre before 24 January for advice prior to accepting your offer.

 Book an advice appointment

What should I bring when I come? 

You should bring the following items when you attend:

  • Your letter of offer from the University (including your student ID number)
  • Photo ID so that your student ID card can be issued. Your card can only be issued after you have enrolled in at least one subject.

What should I do if I cannot attend Academic Advice Day?

If you cannot attend Academic Advice Day, you must complete your enrolment online. You must complete all steps by the date stated in your offer letter.

You should also visit the Arts Student Centre and make a booking to meet with a course advisor. You can also access the recorded welcome webinar to view the presentation and gain information on how to accept your offer, the course structure, how to select your subjects, support services that are available and much more.

Enrolment online

How do I get credit for previous tertiary studies or extension program subjects?

To apply for credit for previous studies, please download and complete an advanced standing application form and book an advice appointment. You will need to take to your appointment:

  • An original or certified copy of your official transcript 
  • Handbook entries or detailed curriculum information for each subject from your previous institution for which you would like to receive credit.

This will allow your student advisor to make an accurate assessment of whether you will be granted credit. See the advanced standing (credit) page for more information.

Can I defer my course?

For information on application procedures and the deferral policy for courses, please see the Future Students website.

You cannot defer your place in order to take up or continue tertiary study at another institution. Approval for deferral is not automatic. Deferrals at midyear entry are not permitted.

Can I study part time?

Domestic students can undertake their studies on a part-time basis without special permission. However, it is recommended that the first year be completed on a full-time basis.

International students are not normally able to study less than a full load (50 points per semester) due to student visa conditions.

Part-time students should plan to attend scheduled day-time classes as there are generally few bachelor-level evening classes. The Faculty of Arts offers relatively few intensive undergraduate subjects, so it is not possible for a student to plan to take intensive subjects every summer semester or winter recess to speed up degree completion. The Bachelor of Arts must be completed within eight years of commencement.

What can I study?

Visit the University's online subject Handbook.

How many contact hours will I have in the first year?

This depends on what subjects you choose to study, but Bachelor of Arts students study an average of 12-15 hours per week, this may be more if you are taking subjects from areas such as psychology, economics and languages. All students are required to spend additional time studying out of class on research, reading and assignments. The combined time required for class attendance and additional study time for four level-one subjects is around forty hours per week.

Where do I get help?

For help with enrolment, contact the Arts Student Centre.

University services: