Outgoing exchange

The University of Melbourne exchange program offers students a unique opportunity to study and live overseas whilst completing a degree. As an Exchange student, you can study for a single semester or full year at any one of approximately 185 exchange partners in over 35 countries around the world.


Students must:

  • Be enrolled at the University of Melbourne as a domestic or international student
  • Have completed, or about to complete, at least one year of study and 75 points at the University of Melbourne by the due date of applications
  • Have achieved a weighted average of at least 65% (H3) across the degree for which you are seeking credit while on exchange
  • Have a 65% average in any language which you may wish to study
  • Be able to study the equivalent of at least a full-time load while overseas
  • Obtain Faculty approval on a Melbourne Abroad application
  • Demonstrate through a financial plan your ability to support your stay overseas;
  • Satisfy host institution and host country entry requirements
  • Be a 'good ambassador' for the University of Melbourne

Enrolment and fees

When overseas, students remain enrolled full-time at the University of Melbourne and continue to pay their course fees (HECS or full fees) here. Students are also enrolled full-time at the overseas institution but are not required to pay course fees to them.


Generous travel scholarships are available for Exchange students. For more information please visit the Melbourne Global Mobility Outbound students Funding and scholarships web page.

Honours students

Students undertaking an honours year are normally only allowed to go on exchange for one semester and 37.5 points of coursework study. It is a Faculty requirement that all work completed overseas as part of your Honours program must be submitted to the relevant department at the University of Melbourne upon your return.


The Faculty's Outgoing Exchange Advisor provides advice to both undergraduate and graduate students. Please email Stephanie Harding.