Overseas intensive programs

Arts students, particularly those who are learning a language, may wish to study overseas but are either unable or unwilling to commit themselves to a minimum semester-long program. These students may wish to participate in an intensive course run at an overseas institution during the University of Melbourne's winter or summer break.

General eligibility requirements and information


To be eligible, students must be:

  • Enrolled as either a domestic or international student of the University of Melbourne
  • Have completed at least one year (and 75 points) at the time of applying
  • Have achieved a minimum H2B (70%) weighted average across their studies

Language students

Students who are seeking to gain credit for language subjects overseas must:

  • Have been learning that language at the University of Melbourne for at least 12 months
  • Be at an intermediate level of the language at the time of exchange
  • Have a minimum H2B (70%) average in the language

Enrolment and fees

Students must organise their own enrolment and pay their tuition fees directly to the overseas institution. All courses must be approved in writing by the appropriate School representative prior to departure and a copy provided to the Faculty of Arts' Outgoing Exchange Officer.


Some scholarships may be available for students undertaking an intensive overseas course. For more information please visit the Melbourne Global Mobility Outbound students Funding and scholarships web page.


Email: SAEX-outgoing-HASS@unimelb.edu.au


New Overseas Intensive Subject for 2016:
INDO20001 Analysing Indonesia: Concepts and Issues

Dates: 9-30 January 2016

BaliThe subject INDO20001 Analysing Indonesia: Concepts and Issues will be taught as a Level 2 Overseas Intensive Subject (12.5 credit points) at Udayana University in Bali from 9 to 30 January 2016. The subject provides a multidisciplinary introduction to key concepts in social science and cultural studies and their uses in the analysis of modern Indonesia. It covers the historical, political, cultural and social factors that have helped shape Indonesia. The subject will be co-taught by University of Melbourne and Udayana University staff. Students from both universities will participate. Classes will be held in the mornings over 12 days. Organised activities include excursions to cultural, religious and historical sites in Bali. There will also be ample free time to explore.


The subject is available for students enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts and breadth students. A quota of 15 students applies. Melbourne Global Mobility will work with the Indonesian Studies program in coordinating the subject.


Accommodation and services will be provided by the hosting organisation, Udayana University. You will stay in student accommodation near the Udayana campus in Denpasar, the capital of Bali (individual rooms).


The University has secured New Colombo Plan grants of $1500 each for 10 students. All other participants are eligible for Melbourne Global Scholars Awards based on academic merit.

The program cost will be $800 (additional to the regular tuition fee for the subject). This will cover three weeks accommodation and some meals, excursions and other extracurricular activities. The airfare to Bali needs to be purchased separately (approx. $650). Some spending money is needed for other meals and incidentals.

Information sessions


To participate in this subject and apply for grants, please submit your CV, passport details, student result record and a short statement of motivation (300-500 words) by 25 September 2015.

Register for this overseas intensive

More information

Dr Michael Ewing
Convenor, Indonesian Studies Program
Asia Institute

Phone: +61 3 8344 7557
Email: m.ewing@unimelb.edu.au