Graduate research

Information about facilities, thesis submission and extensions, research administration, student services, handbooks and more.

General information

Please note: Most information for current graduate coursework and graduate research students is located on the Faculty of Arts Graduate Coursework and Graduate Research
web pages.

There is a further range of help available. For more information please visit the Faculty of Arts Contact us web page.

Prospective graduate research students

All prospective students should consult the Asia Institute requirements and structure guidelines prior to submitting a proposal.

For more information please visit the Faculty of Arts Contact us web page.

Thesis submission and extensions

For information on thesis submission please see the Graduate Research Hub Examination website.

Facilities at Asia Institute

Computing facilities

The Computer Lab at the Asia Institute has been established specifically for the use of graduate students of the Institute, and in particular for its graduate research students. It is located on level 2 of the Sidney Myer Asia Centre. Those who are not graduate students of the Institute are not permitted to use these facilities and will be asked to leave. Students experiencing difficulties with the computers should contact Student IT and eLearning support for assistance online or call +61 3 8344 0888. Full details of printing issues, including toner replacement, should be directed to the AI Administration Officer who will lodge a request with IT.

University guidelines on the use of computers can be found on the Student IT and eLearning support Uni Guidelines web page. University regulations governing misuse of computers can be found on the Regulation 8.3.R2 ‐ Computing and network facilities rules (115kb pdf)

After hours access to the graduate computer lab

Full-time graduate research students may request after-hours swipe access to the graduate computer lab. One you have obtained your student card, please contact the AI Administration Officer with your name and student number if you require after-hours access. Security is contactable on +61 3 8344 6666 or ext. 46666 (internal dialling) if help is ever needed.

Graduate study space

In addition to the computer lab on the 2nd floor, there is a study area available to the Institute's graduate research students. There are desks with computers available in this room. As the number of spaces is limited, desks are allocated to graduate research students in the last 6 months of their candidature. If available, spaces are provided on request for short periods (up to two months) during the year. Priority is given to students who:

  • have recently returned from fieldwork
  • are in the last year of candidature
  • do not currently occupy a Faculty graduate room or Graduate Centre carrel
  • are experiencing difficulty in accessing suitable alternative study space

For additional information about facilities and conditions of occupancy, please contact the Teaching and Research Officer (AI).


There is a limited number of lockers available for full-time graduate research students in the graduate computer lab. Students using the lockers can either provide their own padlock or use those lockers with an existing key lock. Please contact the AI Administration Officer if you wish to use these facilities.

Photocopying and printing

The Asia Institute provides the following photocopying and printing subsidies to graduate research students:

  • $50 photocopy credit ($25 for part-time students) per year
  • 1 ream of paper per semester

Photocopy credit is loaded onto your student card by Unicard, who maintain all printing and photocopying resources at the University. This credit can be used at most student photocopiers and printers on campus. Photocopying and printing facilities are available at the Eastern Resource Centre, Frank Tate Building, Baillieu library and the Student Union. All photocopying at the University is subject to the Copyright Regulations 1968. Severe penalties apply if the regulations are contravened.

Please see the Academic Programs staff member regarding photocopying credit and paper.

Study away and funding

The Asia Institute allows you to undertake research-related activities such as fieldwork, attending conferences, attending classes or working with collaborators away from the University. You will need to complete an Application to Study Away to notify the University when you will be away and where you are traveling to. The University offers a range of scholarships and prizes to graduate research students that can help to cover the cost of your journey. For more information please visit the Study away and funding website.

Facilities at the Faculty of Arts

The Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences provides a number of study and social spaces for research students, including IT facilities, study and meeting rooms and a student lounge. The Faculty also has a limited number of graduate study spaces (dual-occupancy rooms) in the Old Quad (Building 150) that are available for use by Masters by research and PhD candidates.

More information