The Melbourne Humanities Foundation was established in 2012 by the Faculty of Arts in partnership with the Melbourne Humanities Foundation Board. The Foundation Board is chaired by prominent lawyer, philanthropist and Chancellor of the University of Melbourne Mr Allan Myers AC QC.
The Melbourne Humanities Foundation supports those fields of teaching and research that sit at the heart of a university - the humanities disciplines. The role of the Foundation is to assist the Faculty of Arts to develop support for humanities programs, which have experienced decreases in government funding. In particular, the Foundation seeks benefaction in key areas such as classics, history, literature, languages, art history and philosophy.
Through the establishment of an endowed fund, the Foundation aims to ensure that future generations are able to benefit from a vibrant humanities community at Melbourne. Comprised of professors, research fellows, lecturers, postgraduates, undergraduates and our alumni and friends, this community of the humanities has students as its core concern, and the Foundation wants to make certain that they have the opportunity to benefit from the best humanities education.
The Foundation aims to nurture and enhance the humanities and develop skills and abilities essential for our society:
- a capacity for critical thinking and intellectual rigour
- an ability to engage in persuasive argument and adversarial thinking
- an aptitude and enthusiasm for innovation and creativity
- a capability for living with complexity and ambiguity
- a developed understanding of oneself and one’s place in the world; and
- an ability to comprehend the real needs and concerns of others
The Foundation asks you to join them in securing the future of a flourishing humanities program at The University of Melbourne.
Melbourne Humanities Foundation Board
- Mr Allan Myers AC QC (Chair)
- Mr Michael Bartlett
- Ms Lin Bender AM
- Mr Peter Clark
- Prof Mark Considine
- The Hon Susan Crennan AC QC
- Sir James Gobbo AC CVO KSJ QC
- Dr Brigid Hains
- Ms Jane Hansen
- Mr Peter Jopling AM QC
- Sir Jonathan Mills AO, Chev A et L
- Mrs Yvonne Panagacos
- Assoc Prof Sara Wills