Italian Australian Foundation Travel Scholarship
- 15th Mar 2017
- 15th May 2017
- Study level
- Enrolment status
- Current student
- University Trust Record
- Study Area
Through the support of the Italian Australian Foundation, in 2015 the Faculty of Arts in conjunction with the School of Languages and Linguistics, launched the Italian Australian Foundation Travel Scholarships.
From amongst eligible applicants, the scholarships will be awarded to the students most disadvantaged in their academic work by financial need.
Several scholarships are awarded from this amount.
Open to disadvantaged undergraduate students who are Australian residents or citizens of Italian descent* enrolled or enrolling in Languages of Venice: Study Abroad (ITAL20006 or ITAL30012) or, subject to the satisfaction of the selection committee, to other disadvantaged students enrolled in a BA or postgraduate course in the Faculty of Arts who wish to travel for the purpose of formal study of Italian language, culture and/or heritage. Normally, eligible undergraduate students should be enrolled in an Italian Studies major or Diploma in Languages in Italian Studies.
* Italian descent is defined as being able to trace Italian ancestry within three generations on at least one side of the family.
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to the donor/committee (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
Eligible applicants must complete:
- Online application form which includes financial assessment questions and
- Provide a brief summary of their current financial circumstances
- Note: All students, except those over 25 years of age, or those receiving the "Unreasonable to live at home" rate of Youth Allowance, should have their parents or guardians complete a Statement of Parents or Guardians Income form. You can upload this into the application form
- Certified copy of Australian residency or citizenship
- Proof of Italian descent (please supply a copy of your parents or grandparents Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate, or Death Certificate - this does not need to be an original certified copy but the committee reserve the right to request the original at a later date if required)
- Any other information to support application that may assist the committee in making its decision
Please ensure you have the above information available before you commence your online application.
Applications must be submitted prior to the advertised closing date.
The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The judges' decision will be final and the University reserves the right not to award the prize in the event it is considered that no work of sufficient merit has been submitted. Winning applicants please note the University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications.
Taxation on scholarships
Scholarships awarded to part-time students are assessed as taxable income by the Australian Taxation Office (under section 51-10 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997).
To ensure the correct rate of income tax is withheld, part-time students will be asked to provide a Tax File Number (TFN) Declaration Form prior to payment.
For further information on whether a scholarship is taxable, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.