Dinny O’Hearn Fellowships
This felllowship is proudly supported by the Australian Centre.
Established in 1994, the DJ (Dinny) O'Hearn Memorial Fellowship is a biennial award that offers a residency at the Australian Centre, University of Melbourne, to a young Australian writer of fiction, poetry or drama. The fellowship was set up to honour the memory of the late Dinny O'Hearn, one of the founders of the Australian Centre, and a tireless enthusiast for Australian writing.
The Fellowship residency will be available in 2018.
The fellowship is awarded not less frequently than once every three years by the Council on the recommendation of the director of the Australian Centre to enable an Australian writer not exceeding twenty five years of age at the commencement of the fellowship to work on his or her own writing at the Centre. Each fellowship is to be of such period and value as Council on the recommendation of the director of the Australian Centre determines.
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to their donor/committee. (Upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
You must submit your application online and upload the following documents to support your application:
- Full statement of the proposed work to be undertaken during the fellowship
- Sample of writing from the current project (not to exceed 20 pages)
- Curriculum vitae and list of publications (up to 5 pages)
- Certified copy of proof of Australian citizenship (Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate) - does not need to be original
We cannot accept applications longer than stipulated, or any additional accompanying material. Entries must be received by close of business: 5.00pm on the closing date.
Application material will not be returned.