HB Higgins Poetry Scholarship
The HB Higgins Scholarship is awarded for the purpose of enhancing the study of poetry in any language.
The donor, the Honourable Henry Bournes Higgins K.C. (master of Arts and bachelor of Laws and a member of the Council of the University) on 25 October 1904, presented to the University £1000 of Victorian Government Stock for the purpose of founding in the University a scholarship for the study of poetry.
Open to Honours, Graduate Coursework or Graduate Research students at the University of Melbourne
Applicants must have the intention of enhancing the study of poetry (in any language).
The holder must undertake advanced studies with the aim of enhancing the study of poetry in any language during the tenure of the Scholarship. Such advanced studies may be taken in Australia or in other countries (please read trust regulation for further explanation).
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to the donor/committee (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
Eligible applicants must complete the online application form (via the link below) which requires a 300-500 word proposal for the advanced study of poetry and the documents uploaded as outlined below:
- Current academic record from the University of Melbourne
- Academic transcripts of all tertiary education to date
- Two academic references
- Any other documents or information which may assist the Faculty in making its decision