Melbourne Global Languages Scholarships
- 1st Feb 2017
- 1st Apr 2017
- Study level
- Enrolment status
- Current student
- University Trust Record
Travelling to study between 1 May and before 1 November 2017
- Study Area
Italian Studies, Russian Studies, French Studies, German Studies, Spanish and Latin American studies, Indonesian language and studies, Arabic studies, Chinese language and studies, Japanese language and studies
Each year a limited number of scholarships are offered to high achieving undergraduate language students for study overseas. These scholarships are designed to assist with the costs of undertaking intensive programs of reasonable length, or semester or year-long exchanges.
This scholarship is open for applications twice per year:
The amount available for this award varies between $1,500 - $7,000 per award.
Please also note that Melbourne Global Languages Scholarships have specific eligibility criteria:
- Be enrolled in a UoM degree or diploma during the scholarship application round
- Graduate students must have completed 50 points in their enrolled course
- Undergraduate students must have completed 100 points in their enrolled course
- Completed 50 points of modern language study at UoM or through approved complementary language subjects at other institutions which are credit against the enrolled degree or diploma.
- Be currently enrolled in a language subject as per their overseas study target language at the time of application
- The target language to be studied must be a native language to the intended country of exchange or study abroad
- The proposed overseas program of study must be equivalent to at least 12.5 points delivered in the target language and be credit bearing towards the currently enrolled UoM course.
- Overseas programs shorter than a semester in duration must be of an intensive delivery mode.
- The overseas study program must be approved by the Faculty and University.
- The final funding amount awarded is up to the committee’s discretion and is based on a number of factors including destination country and course duration.
- Achieved an H2B 70% average in the target language and overall WGPA of 70% across their academic record, with no results below an H2B (70+) in the target language subjects.
- Have not previously or concurrently received Global Mobility funding including a Melbourne Global Languages Scholarship, Melbourne Global Grant or Melbourne Global Scholars Award.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- The Committee has the discretion to consider applicant with special circumstances that would otherwise not meet an eligibility criteria.
The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The judges' decision will be final and the University reserves the right not to award the prize in the event it is considered that no work of sufficient merit has been submitted. Winning applicants please note the University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications.
Taxation on scholarships
Scholarships awarded to part-time students are assessed as taxable income by the Australian Taxation Office (under section 51-10 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997).
To ensure the correct rate of income tax is withheld, part-time students will be asked to provide a Tax File Number (TFN) Declaration Form prior to payment.
For further information on whether a scholarship is taxable, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.