Norman Macgeorge Scholarship
The Norman Macgeorge Scholarship provides research higher degree students in the visual, creative and performing arts, music, architecture, conservation, literature, creative writing, language, history, philosophy and anthropology at The University of Melbourne with financial assistance to travel overseas on a research trip.
Successful students will receive a contribution of up to $ 6,000 toward travel expenses.
Open to PhD students (only) of The University of Melbourne who:
- Have completed, at a high level of achievement, a tertiary course that is at least equivalent to an Australian four year honours degree, and
- Are in the early stages of their candidacy for a research higher degree in the visual, creative and performing arts, music, architecture, conservation, literature, creative writing, language, history, philosophy and anthropology at The University of Melbourne and have maintained satisfactory progress since commencement, and
- Are enrolled full or part time at The University of Melbourne.
- The scholar will be required to deliver a Departmental seminar and scholarship report within three months after returning from the research trip which must be completed during 1 May 2017 to 30 April 2018
- The scholarship may not be deferred beyond this period of time
- The scholar will be responsible for making their own travel and accommodation bookings, spend 80% of their time during the trip undertaking research at the international organisation/s specified and agreed to by the committee and making appointments to gain access to resources at the organisation/s
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to the donor/committee (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a progress report
- Submit a final report
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 4-6 weeks after the closing date.
You must supply the following documents to support your application. You can upload these into the application form:
- Curriculum vitae, details of your field of study and any financial support plus an academic transcript
- Proposed program for the research trip
- Proposed budget for the research trip
- Proposed title of your Departmental seminar to be delivered within three months after returning from the research trip
- Confirmation that you accept the terms and conditions of the Scholarship listed in the guidelines
- Letter/email of support from your postgraduate supervisor
Please ensure you have the above information available before you commence your online application.
Faculty of Arts Awards Team: email@example.com
Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts and the Melbourne Conservatorium of Music: Caroline Deacon or Edwina Buckley firstname.lastname@example.org
The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The judges' decision will be final and the University reserves the right not to award the prize in the event it is considered that no work of sufficient merit has been submitted. Winning applicants please note the University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications.