The Elizabeth and Nicholas Slezak Scholarship
The Elizabeth and Nicholas Slezak Scholarship is a travelling scholarship to enable female graduates of the University to study French literature and/or language in France.
Up to $23,668
Open to University of Melbourne graduates who identify as female and are:
- Enrolled in a Masters or PhD studying French language or literature and require support to travel and research in France
- Current honours students doing short programs in France on terms breaks (to advance French language skills)
The scholarship is not restricted to students in the Faculty of Arts. For example, it would be acceptable for a graduate Music student to receive a scholarship to study French in France (in a short course) to assist them with their study of French opera.
Applicants should normally be confirmed (completed first year of PhD), are encouraged to enrol in a cotutelle, but may take courses at a French university or equivalent institution, or undertake research in French libraries, archives or fieldwork.
Programs are required to be approved by the Head of French Studies.
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to their donor/committee (Upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
- Recipients will only hold the scholarship for the duration of their travel period
- The scholarship lapses if the travel is not undertaken within 12 months of being awarded. Extensions may only occur at the University's absolute discretion.
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
You must submit your application online (via the link below) which requires a 300-500 word statement outlining how the scholarship would impact your life and assist with your studies, details of your proposed study overseas, budget, scholarship amount requested and documents uploaded as outlined below:
- Two academic references
- Current academic record/transcript
- Any other information to support application that may assist the committee in making its decision