The Elizabeth and Nicholas Slezak Scholarship
The Elizabeth and Nicholas Slezak Scholarship is a travelling scholarship to enable female graduates of the University to study French literature and/or language in France.
Up to $30,000 per scholarship (Graduate Coursework/Graduate Research students)
And / or
$5,000 - $10,000 scholarships (Honours students)
Open to female University of Melbourne graduates of French studies who are:
- Enrolling in a Masters or PhD studying French language or literature and requires support to travel to and research in France
- Current honours students doing short programs in France on terms breaks (to advance French language skills)
The scholarship is not restricted to students in the Faculty of Arts. For example, it would be acceptable for a graduate Music student to receive a scholarship to study French in France (in a short course) to assist them with their study of French opera
Applicants should normally be confirmed (completed first year of PhD), are encouraged to enrol in a cotutelle, but may take courses at a French university or equivalent institution, or undertake research in French libraries, archives or fieldwork
Programs are required to be approved by the Head of French Studies
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to their donor/committee (Upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
- Recipients will only hold the scholarship for the duration of their travel period
- The scholarship lapses if the travel is not undertaken within 12 months of being awarded. Extensions may only occur at the University's absolute discretion.
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
You must supply the following documents to support your application. You can upload these into the application form:
- Details of proposed program of study/research in France
- Current academic record/transcript
- Two academic references
- Any other information to support application that may assist the committee in making its decision
Please ensure you have the above information available before you commence your online application.