The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. Scholarship
- Study level
- Undergraduate, Honours
- Enrolment status
- Current student
- University Trust Record
- Study Area
The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. Scholarship will be available to students enrolled in the Fudan Intensive Program within the year in which the scholarship is to be awarded. The scholarship is sponsored by The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. for students of Chinese language to support the study of intensive Chinese language in China.
The University of Melbourne and the Asia Institute acknowledge the generous support of The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. which has made this scholarship opportunity possible.
- As a minimum, students are required to have completed two semesters of study of Chinese at The University of Melbourne and passed Chinese 2 ,Chinese 4A and Chinese 4 Post VCE,Chinese 6 or Chinese 8 and Chinese 10
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled diploma or degree student at The University of Melbourne
- Must be an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Selection will be based on a combination of academic merit and relevant community involvement
- Preference will be given to students who have not previously had an opportunity to study in China
- The successful scholarship recipient must submit a one page report and photos within 2 months of returning from Fudan University and also attend and give a brief account of their experience at The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. 'Change-over' function
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to their donor/committee (Upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
- Submit a one page report and photos within 2 months of returning from Fudan University and also attend and give a brief account of their experience at The Lions Club of Melbourne Chinese Inc. 'Change-over' function
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
Please complete the online application form and upload the following documents to support your application.
- Statement outlining your reasons for applying for this scholarship (approx. 100 words)
- List the activities which demonstrate your community involvement (approx. 100 words)
- Certified copy of Australian or NZ Citizenship eg, passport, birth certificate, citizenship certificate
- Any other information to support application that may assist the committee in making its decision
Please ensure you have the above information available before you commence your online application.
The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The judges' decision will be final and the University reserves the right not to award the prize in the event it is considered that no work of sufficient merit has been submitted. Winning applicants please note the University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications.
Taxation on scholarships
Scholarships awarded to part-time students are assessed as taxable income by the Australian Taxation Office (under section 51-10 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997).
To ensure the correct rate of income tax is withheld, part-time students will be asked to provide a Tax File Number (TFN) Declaration Form prior to payment.
For further information on whether a scholarship is taxable, please visit the Australian Taxation Office website.