The Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize
The 2018 Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize will be awarded to an Australian poet to travel to Ireland in 2018.
This prize is proudly supported by The Australian Centre.
The Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize was established to commemorate the life and work of the late Vincent Buckley; poet, critic and Professor of English at the University of Melbourne. It is a biennial award that is offered alternately to enable an Australian poet to visit Ireland and to facilitate the visit of an Irish poet to Melbourne. The Prize, which has been made available through generous donations from family and friends of Vincent Buckley, provides the recipient with a return airfare, and a contribution towards living expenses.
Further information including past winners and judges report can be found on The Australian Centre Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize web page.
To be eligible for award of the prize, the poet must present a group or volume or volumes or oeuvre of poems written in English by themselves
- The prize is to be awarded to an Australian poet
- It is expected that you will have been published for commercial distribution
- The value of the prize is inclusive of airfares and living expenses
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 14 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to the donor/committee (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Attend the award announcement at the Australian Centre, Faculty of Arts Literary Awards at Melbourne Writers Festival (25 August - 3 September)
- Submit a final report
- Unsuccessful entrants will be notified after the awards event
- The decision of the Judging Committee is final
The award winner will be announced at the Australian Centre, Faculty of Arts Literary Awards at Melbourne Writers Festival (25 August - 3 September)
You must submit your application online and upload the following documents to support your application:
- 200 word outline of activities to be undertaken in Ireland
- Group or volume/s of recent poems for consideration by the judges
- List of publications (one page)
- Brief curriculum vitae (up to four pages)
- Copy of proof of Australian citizenship (Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate) - does not need to be original
Entries must be received by midnight on the closing date.
Please note: Application material will not be returned.
If you want to hand deliver your poems, please contact email@example.com to organise this.