The Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize
- Enrolment status
- University Trust Record
Next offered in 2017
- Study Area
- Creative writing
This prize is proudly supported by The Australian Centre.
The Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize was established to commemorate the life and work of the late Vincent Buckley; poet, critic and Professor of English at the University of Melbourne. It is a biennial award that is offered alternately to enable an Australian poet to visit Ireland and to facilitate the visit of an Irish poet to Melbourne. The Prize, which has been made available through generous donations from family and friends of Vincent Buckley, provides the recipient with a return airfare, and a contribution towards living expenses.
Further information including past winners and judges report can be found on The Australian Centre Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize web page.
Congratulations to the 2015 Vincent Buckley Poetry Prize winner, James Harpur for his collection of poems in his forthcoming book In Loco Parentis.
James Harpur is an accomplished poet with a compelling narrative voice and unpretentious style. His forthcoming book chronicles family and institutional life in poetry that is alive to characters and the ways they can affect each other.
- Professor Kevin Brophy, School of Culture and Communication, University of Melbourne, Professor of Creative Writing, poet
- Professor Ken Gelder, co-Director of the Australian Centre, University of Melbourne, Professor of English
- Associate Professor Denise Varney, co-Director of the Australian Centre, University of Melbourne, Associate Professor, Theatre Studies.
To be eligible for award of the prize, the poet must present a group or volume or volumes or oeuvre of poems written in English by himself or herself
- The prize is to be awarded to an Australian poet
- It is expected that you will have been published for commercial distribution
- The value of the prize is inclusive of airfares and living expenses
Recipients are required to:
- Accept award online within 21 days
- Write two letters of appreciation to their donor/committee (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report
Applicants will be advised of the outcome via email within 6-8 weeks after the closing date.
You must submit your application online and upload the following documents to support your application:
- 200 word outline of activities to be undertaken in Ireland
- Group or volume/s of recent poems for consideration by the judges
- List of publications (one page)
- Brief curriculum vitae (up to four pages)
- Certified copy of proof of Australian citizenship (Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate) - does not need to be original
Entries must be received by close of business - 5.00pm on the closing date.
Please note: Application material will not be returned.
The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The judges' decision will be final and the University reserves the right not to award the prize in the event it is considered that no work of sufficient merit has been submitted. Winning applicants please note the University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications.