Mildura War Heritage Road Show - Consultation and Activity Days
Benetook Room, Alfred Deakin Centre, 180-190 Deakin Avenue, Mildura
Australia's experience of war, especially in the First and Second World Wars, helped shape our sense of ourselves as a nation and as a community with a distinctive ethos and way of life. To provide opportunities for future generations to understand, investigate and value these experiences, we must ensure that significant material relating to Australia's war heritage is preserved, not just in official national and state institutions, but also in personal, family and community collections.
Department of Premier and Cabinet - Veterans Branch and the Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation will deliver a series of free workshops for the public across Victoria. The workshops will bring Australia's leading experts in preservation to you for a two-day line-up of free workshops and information sessions.
Day 1 - Consultation Day
Free expert consultations: Twenty-minute sessions run from 10am to 4pm and bookings are essential.
- Jude Fraser specialising in paper based wartime memorabilia (photos, prints, documents and diaries);
- Marion Parker specialising in 3D artefacts (uniforms, military kit and equipment, medals and textiles);
- David Gardner, Director of the RAAF Museum who will assist with general and historical information.
Memorabilia brought in for these sessions will be photographed as a documentary record of the workshops.
For your safety and that of others STRICTLY NO WEAPONS OR MUNITION. If you would like advice about these, please bring a photo.
We encourage people without memorabilia wishing to view sessions to book an observer ticket.
Rolling collection care demonstrations will be running throughout the day. These include cleaning of metals, archival storage for memorabilia, preventive measures and storage of textiles and researching military history.
Day 2 - Activity Day
10:15 am Talk: Caring for Wartime Memorabilia
Rolling collection care demonstrations will be running during the day. These include:
- cleaning of metals,
- checking and preventing insect attack,
- disaster preparedness in the home,
- removing photographs from magnetic albums,
- researching military history and medal information,
- preventive and storage of textiles memorabilia.
Bookings are essential. More information can be found here