- Hurst, P., Wigglesworth, G. and Wilson, A. "Multilingual behaviour of Tiwi children in an early educational context". Poster to be presented at the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) conference, Portland, Oregon, 2014
- Wigglesworth, G. "Ecology, Equity and Ethics in Education in Aboriginal Australia". Paper to be presented at the American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) conference, Portland, Oregon, 2014
- Loakes, D., Moses, K., Wigglesworth, G., Simpson, J. and Billington, R. "Children's language input: A study of a remote multilingual Indigenous Australian community," in Multilingua 32(5), 2013, pp. 683-711
- Wigglesworth, G., Billington, R., and Loakes, D. "Creole Speakers and Standard Language Education," in Language and Linguistics Compass 7(7), 2013, pp. 388-397
- Loakes, D., Moses, K., Simpson, J. and Wigglesworth, G. "Developing tests for the assessment of traditional language skill: A case study in an Indigenous Australian community," in Language Assessment Quarterly 9(3). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2012, pp. 311-330
- Wigglesworth, G., Simpson, J. and Loakes, D. "NAPLAN language assessments for Indigenous children in remote communities: issues and problems," in Australian Review of Applied Linguistics Vol 34 (3), 2011, pp. 320-343
Full paper available is available on the National Library of Australia Open Publish website.
- Loakes, D., Moses, K., Wigglesworth, G. and Simpson, J. Speaker age and language choice in child-directed speech in a multilingual Australian Indigenous community." Poster presented at the 12th International Congress for the Study of Child Language (IASCL), Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM): Montreal Canada, 2011. Poster available (875kb pdf)
- Wigglesworth, G. and Loakes, D. "Researching Child Language in Indigneous Australia: An ACLA2 Progress Report." Paper presented at Research Seminars Program - Languages and Linguistics, Dec 11. The University of Melbourne, 2009. Researching child language (380kb pdf)
- Wigglesworth, G. "Assessing children's comprehension of indigenous languages." Paper presented at the American Association for Applied Linguistics Conference March 21-24: Denver, Colorado, 2009. Assessing children's comprehension (380kb pdf)
- Wigglesworth, G. and Simpson, J. "NAPLAN language assessments for Indigenous children in remote communities: issues and problems." Paper presented at the National Symposium on Assessing English as a Second/Other Language in the Australian Context 20 - 21 February, University of New South Wales, 2009. NAPLAN language assessments (1.13Mb pdf)
Related publications from ACLA2 researchers
- Dixon, Sally. "Educational failure or success: Aboriginal children's non-standard English utterances," in Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 36(3), 2013
- Dixon, S. and Deak, E. "The Language Centre as a language revitalisation strategy: a case study from Wangka Maya PALC," in Hobson, J., Lowe, K., Poetsch, S. and Walsh, M.(eds.,). Re-awakening languages: Theory and practice in the revitalisation of Australia's Indigenous languages, 2010
- Simpson, J., Caffery, J. and McConvell, P. Gaps in Australia's indigenous language policy: dismantling bilingual education in the Northern Territory Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press, 2009
Available online through the Australian Policy Online website.
- Disbray, S. "Story-telling Styles: a study of adult-child interactions in Tennant Creek," in Simpson, J. and Wigglesworth, G. (eds.,). Children's Language and Multilingualism. London, New York: Continuum International Publishing Group, 2008, pp. 45-65
- Morrison, B. and Disbray, S. "Warumungu children and language in Tennant Creek. Warra wiltaniappendi = Strengthening languages." Proceedings of the Inaugural Indigenous Languages Conference (ILC) 2007, Adelaide, Australia, 2008, pp. 107-111
- Disbray, S. and Simpson, J. "The expression of possession in Wumpurrarni English, Tennant Creek," in Monash Working Papers in Linguistics 4(2), 2005, pp. 65-86
- Disbray, S. and Meakins, F. Talking with kids. The University of Melbourne. [accessible video publication of research findings developed with, and distributed to Aboriginal communities and NT Dept of Education and Training] 2005
ACLA1 PhD theses
- Disbray, S. More than one way to catch a frog: Children's discourse in a contact setting. Unpublished PhD dissertation, The University of Melbourne, 2009. Available online on University Library Minerva Access website.
- Meakins, F. Case-marking in contact: the development and function of case morphology in Gurindji Kriol, an Australian mixed language. Unpublished PhD dissertation, The University of Melbourne, 2007. Available through the University of Melbourne Library catalogue.
- Moses, K. Do dinosaurs hug in the Kimberley? The use of questions by Aboriginal caregivers and children in the Kimberley Unpublished PhD dissertation, The University of Melbourne, 2009. Available through the University of Melbourne Library catalogue.
Recent ACLA1 publications (from 2008 onwards - see ACLA1 site for earlier work)
- Disbray, S. and Wigglesworth, G. "Variability in children's language input in three communities in Aboriginal Australia," in Robinson, G., Goodnow, J., Katz, I. and Eickelkamp, U. (eds.,). Contexts of child development: Culture, policy and intervention. Alice Springs, Charles Darwin University Press, 2008.
- Simpson, J. and Wigglesworth, G. Children's language and multilingualism: Indigenous language use at home and school. London: Continuum International Press, 2008