Medieval (Byzantine) Greek Reading Group
An informal group that meets on Wednesdays at 5:15 in a friendly and supportive environment to read medieval (Byzantine) Greek texts. Anyone with any knowledge of Greek is welcome. When things get back to normal we will probably continue the discussion over a pizza/pasta and glass of wine in Lygon Street.
Wednesday 4 August, 5:15-6:30. Please contact Roger Scott or John Burke if you wish to attend or want to be taken off the mailing list.
We will meet in Old Arts Room 213 and/or via Zoom. The Zoom link will be sent by email about 2 hours before the meeting.
We will start on p. 333 ch. 203 line 17: ὅτι δὲ οὐ κατὰ τὴν ιδʹ ἐπετέλεσε τὸ πάσχα ...
- G.W.H. Lampe, A Patristic Greek Lexicon (OUP 1961) - choose the .pdf version (very big: 176Mb pdf)
- Liddell & Scott's Greek-English Lexicon can be searched on the Thesauras Linguae Graecae website and on the Perseus Digital Library, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, a Greek-English Lexicon web page as well as the Logeion website (look also for the Logeion app in Apple's app store).
- Perseus search tools
- Those with unimelb library access can visit the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae online - where the spelling is Cedrenus
John Burke's current favourite free polytonic unicode Greek font is Gentium.
Interactive map of Constantinople by Emanuel Nicolescu and Linda Safran.
- Time-Life reconstruction: MapTimeLife.jpg (982Kb jpg)
- Gates, roads, districts (2.34Mb jpg)
- Byzantine Constantinople (Hubert for Van Millingen) (MapVanMillingen.png, 255Kb png) - and a few more...
- The new critical edition of Kedrenos, by Luigi Tartaglia, Georgii Cedreni Historiarum Compendium (Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, 2016), in two volumes, can be purchased online from Bardi Edizioni
- Bekker's edition of Kedrenos can be read online or downloaded from Google Books (pdf format, very large files - about 50 Mb each) Volume 1 and Volume 2
- PDF of Vol.1 to Vol.2 p. 43 (where Skylitzes starts) Ked1-2.43 (1.06Mb pdf)
- Microsoft Word in unicode font, zipped KedTLGunicode zip (1.12Mb zip)
Please note: these documents are for private study only and may not be published.