Middle English Reading Group
All are welcome to come along, at whatever reading level you are; no familiarity with Middle English is required.
To be added to the mailing list for notices please email Andrew Stephenson: firstname.lastname@example.org.
J. A. Burrow and Thorlac Turville-Petre, A Book of Middle English, Blackwell 1992, 2nd ed. 1996.
The next meeting will be on Monday 10 October, 11:00-12:00 via Zoom. Email email@example.com for connection details.
We’re reading ‘Troilus and Criseyde’ by Chaucer, continuing Book IV from line 337. If you need an online version several are available, including:
The Middle English Reading Group started in 2002. Since then we have read:
- Psalm 23
- Ywain and Gawain
- Bevis of Hampton
- William Caxton's 'Golden Legend'
- The Man of Law's Tale
- The Shepherds’ Play (N-Town Cycle)
- Sir Thopas
- The Awntyrs off Arthur
- Confessio Amantis
- Hoccleve’s Letter of Cupid
- The Owl and the Nightingale
- The Brut of England
- King Horn
- Alliterative Morte Arthure
- Piers Plowman
- The Parlement of the Thre Ages
- Wynnere and Wastoure
- The Book of the Duchess
- Sir Launfal
- Havelok the Dane
- The Summoner’s Tale
- The Friar’s Tale
- The Second Shepherds’ Play (Towneley Cycle)
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
- Sir Orfeo
- The Reeve’s Tale