Professor Christine Wong
Christine Wong is Professor of Chinese Studies and Director of the Centre for Contemporary Chinese Studies at The University of Melbourne. She has previously taught at the University of Oxford, the University of Washington, the University of California, Santa Cruz and Berkeley campuses; and Mount Holyoke College. Professor Wong has also held senior staff positions in the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank, and worked with many other international agencies including the IMF, OECD, and UNDP. She is a member of the OECD Advisory Panel on Budgeting and Public Expenditures.
Professor Wong has published widely on China’s public finance, intergovernmental fiscal relations and their implications for governance, economic development and welfare. Her most recent publications and forthcoming papers include:
- Wong, Christine. "An update on fiscal reform," (190kb pdf) in Garnaut, Ross and Song, Ligang (eds.,). China’s 40 Years of Reform and Development: 1978-2018. ANU Press, 2018
- Wong, Christine. "Bold Strategy or Irrational Exuberance: Can China's Fiscal Foundation Support the Belt and Road Initiative?," (320kb pdf) in Fingar, Thomas and Oi, Jean (eds.,). China's Future: Challenges, Choices and Contingencies, Stanford University Press (forthcoming)
- Wong, Christine. "Public Policy for a Modernizing China: The Challenge of Providing Universal Access to Education under Fiscal Decentralization," (295kb pdf) in Dougherty, Sean M. and Kim, Junghun (eds.,). Inclusive Growth and Fiscal Decentralisation in Asia, OECD (forthcoming)
- Wong, Christine. "China's war on air pollution: Can existing governance structures support new ambitions?," in Wong, C. and Karplus, V. China Quarterly, September 2017, pp. 662-684
- Wong, Christine. "The financial crisis and the challenge of fiscal federalism in China: the 2008 stimulus and the limits of China’s intergovernmental system", in Eccleston, Richard and Krever, Rick (eds.,). The Future of Federalism: Intergovernmental Financial Relations in an Age of Austerity. Edward Elgar, 2017
- Wong, Christine. "Budget reform in China: Progress and prospects in the Xi Jinping era", which appeared in the OECD Journal on Budgeting in 2016, was reprinted in Value for Money: Budget and financial management reform in the People's Republic of China, Taiwan and Australia (235kb pdf) (Andrew Podger et al, editors), ANU Press 2018, Canberra, pp. 65-78
- Wong, Christine. "Budget Reform in China; Progress and prospects in the Xi Jinping era", OECD Journal on Budgeting, Volume 15/3, 2016, pp. 27-36
- Wong, Christine. "Can a modern system of government work under Xi?", Nikkei Asian Review (online), 31 October 2015.
- Wong, Christine. "China: Public Investment Management under Reform and Decentralization", World Bank, The Power of Public Investment Management: Transforming Resources into Assets for Growth. Washington DC, 2014
- Wong, Christine. "Reforming China’s public finances for long-term growth," in Garnaut, R. and Song, L. (eds.,). China Update 2013. Australian National University, 2013, pp. 199-219
- Wong, Christine. "Paying for Urbanization: Challenges for China's Municipal Finance in the 21st Century," (1.1Mb pdf) in Bahl, R., Linn, J. and Wetzel, D. (eds.,). Metropolitan Government Finances in Developing Countries. Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute for Land Policy, 2013, pp. 273-308
- Wong, Christine. "Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation in China," (580kb pdf) in World Bank PREM notes, Special Series on the Nuts and Bolts of M&E Systems No. 23, January 2013, pp. 1-11
- Wong, Christine. "Some Suggestions for Improving China’s Municipal Finance for the 21st Century," the inaugural Paulson Policy Memorandum, the Paulson Institute, University of Chicago, December 2012 (in English and Chinese).
- Wong, Christine. "Are Beijing's Equalization Policies Reaching the Poor? An Analysis of Direct Subsidies under the 'Three Rurals'," (395kb pdf) (with Lin Wanlong) in China Journal, Issue 67, January 2012, pp. 23-45
- Wong, Christine. "The Fiscal Stimulus Program and Public Governance Issues in China," (585kb pdf) in OECD Journal on Budgeting, Nov 2011, pp. 1-21
- Wong, Christine. "Fiscal Reform: Paying for the Harmonious Society," (160kb pdf) in China Economic Quarterly, Vol. 14 Issue 2, June 2010, pp. 20-25
- Wong, Christine. "Rebuilding Government for the 21st Century: Can China Incrementally Reform the Public Sector?" in China Quarterly, Vol. 200, December 2009, pp. 929-952