Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I apply?

    For most Work Integrated Learning (WIL) subjects, you will be required to apply for permission to enrol.

    If your WIL subject requires you to apply for permission, application details will be located in the Handbook entry for the WIL subject.

    Find eligible WIL subjects

  • How do I find a placement?

    For the most part, students are expected to source their own placements with industry. At times, the Faculty receives positions and projects from industry partners and advertises these to enrolled students.

    The Faculty of Arts has prepared helpful resources and guides to assist you with the process of applying for a internship.

  • Can I take my placement outside of the semester?

    Yes, however you must be enrolled in your WIL subject to undertake your placement.

    You should arrange your placement at the most convenient time for yourself and your host organisation, enrolling in your WIL subject for the nearest semester to your intended start date.

    Please advise your academic coordinator should your internship not coincide with the semester period of your enrolment.

  • What is a good internship?

    A good internship will:

    • expose you to your anticipated career path
    • increase your professional networks
    • give you experiential learning experiences and challenge you
    • give you confidence in your existing skill set and tells you where you can improve
    • integrate your academic with your professional learning and bring both into critical interrogation

    You may also develop:

    • capacity to reflect and exercise professional judgement
    • self-awareness to identify appropriate goals, mentors and communication methods
    • a realistic evaluation of your own hard and soft skills
    • increase your ability to self-assess your preparedness for a task and negotiate help
    • professional writing skills (sometimes including report writing skills)
  • I've enrolled, now what happens next?

    Once you have successfully applied and enrolled in your WIL subject, you will be contacted by your academic coordinator and Faculty staff.

    Before you begin your placement, it is important that you:

    • Complete:
      • Student conduct, risk management and health and safety forms
      • Vocational Placement Letter of Agreement (VPLA)
    • Establish your eligibility for relevant insurance policies, including workplace public liability insurance
    • Establish your eligibility to receive course credit as a result of your WIL experience
    • If travelling overseas, confirm your travel plans with global mobility

    A timeline for the completion of these documents will be provided to you.

    Vocational Placement Letter of Agreement (VPLA)

    Before the placement can commence, it is important that your host organisation signs a VPLA. In order for Faculty staff to send your VPLA out to your host organisation, the following details of your internship will have to have been agreed on:

    • Location
    • Timing (start and end dates, including work days per week)
    • Supervisors/co-supervisor at the host organisation
    • Envisaged activities during the placement

    It is generally recommended that your VPLA be agreed upon four weeks in advance of your start date. You will be required to sign the deed in this legal contract.

You may also be interested in the Internships Q&A