Public transport to the University of Melbourne
Please note: Be aware there are road closures and major works in Grattan Street due to the Metro Tunnel construction.
The best way to get to the University is by public transport. Trams run along Royal Parade and Swanston Street.
The University is located outside of the Tram Free Zone in the CBD. You will need a myki card when travelling on public transport in Melbourne. You can buy and top up a myki:
- At all 7-Eleven stores, plus other retailers displaying the myki sign
- At myki machines (full fare only) at all metropolitan train stations
- By calling 1800 800 007 (6am - midnight daily, all night Friday and Saturday)
- At Melbourne Airport, myki machines have been installed in Terminals 2, 3 and 4; concession myki cards can be purchased from the SkyBus Terminal.
Other ways of travelling to the University of Melbourne
The University has plenty of bicycle parking across the campus. For more information please see the Sustainable Campus Cycling/Walking web page.
Bicycles can be hired through the Melbourne Bike Share system at the University and at several locations around the city. Helmets are required by law, and can be purchased for $5 from 7-Eleven stores, vending machines and the Nona Lee Sports Centre (Building 103), Tin Alley at the University. Helmet locations are listed on the FAQs for Bike Rental Options in Melbourne web page.
On-street parking is very limited. There are multi-storey car parks within walking distance of the University. For more information please see the University's Parking on campus web page.
There is a taxi rank outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital in Grattan Street. Major Melbourne taxi companies include:
- 13 Cabs - 13 2227
- Arrow - 13 2211
- Black Cabs Combined - 13 2227
- Yellow Cabs - 13 1924
- Maxi Taxi - 13 6294
- Wheelchair accessible taxis - 9277 3877