Frames and gilded surfaces conservation
Frames have a unique place in conservation - on the one hand they are often an extension of the picture; and on the other hand, an object in their own right. At Grimwade Conservation Services we treat all types of frames and gilded objects. Treatments vary from total re-gilding to the removal of old restoration work to reveal the object as it originally was.
Available frame conservation services include:
- surface cleaning to remove dirt, nicotine, fly spots and stains
- consolidating of loose and flaking surface and ornaments
- mould making for creation and replacement of missing ornaments
- surface preparation for in-painting, in-gilding and complete re-gilding if required
- patination of frame surface to match original finishes
You can watch a demonstration of water gilding on our Water gilding demonstration video.
We specialise in the mounting and housing of paintings and works on paper.
Our services include:
- mount cutting
- decorative windows and mounts
- glazing of works with conservation grade glass or acrylic sheet, including spacers
- padded rebates, profile build ups, protective backboards and two point hanging systems
All rehousing is to international conservation standard using current best practice.
Need frame advice? Get in touch.Contact us