To organise an initial consultation, please make an appointment with staff from the frames department on +61 3 9348 5747.
Frames have a unique place in conservation - on the one hand they are often an extension of the picture; and on the other hand, an object in their own right. At Grimwade Conservation Services we treat all types of frames and gilded objects. Treatments vary from total re-gilding to the removal of old restoration work to reveal the object as it originally was.
Available frame conservation services include:
- surface cleaning to remove dirt, nicotine, fly spots and stains
- consolidating of loose and flaking surface and ornaments
- mould making for creation and replacement of missing ornaments
- surface preparation for in-painting, in-gilding and complete re-gilding if required
- patination of frame surface to match original finishes
You can watch a demonstration of water gilding on our Water gilding demonstration video.
We specialise in the mounting and housing of paintings and works on paper.
Our services include:
- mount cutting
- decorative windows and mounts
- glazing of works with conservation grade glass or acrylic sheet, including spacers
- padded rebates, profile build ups, protective backboards and two point hanging systems
All rehousing is to international conservation standard using current best practice.
Examples of frame and gilded surfaces conservation treatments
Frames Conservation Staff
Find a frames conservator