Faculty of Arts
Language Testing Research Centre
- Knoch, U., Fairbairn, J., Myford, C., Huisman, A. (2018). Evaluating the effectiveness of training new writing and speaking raters online. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 7(1): 61-86.
- Mendoza Ramos, A. & Knoch, U. (2018). Examining the validity of an analytic rating scale for a Spanish test for academic purposes using the argument-based approach to validation. Assessing Writing 35, 41-55.
- Elder, C. (2017). English assessment in higher education. In Shohamy, E., Or I.G., and May, S. (Eds). Encyclopedia of Language and Education. (pp.271-285). Language Testing and Assessment. Springer.
- Elder, C., McNamara, T., Kim, H., Pill., J. and Sato, T. (2017). Interrogating the construct of communicative competence in language assessment contexts: What the non-language specialist can tell us. Language and Communication 57, 14-21.
- Knoch, U. (2017). Research in the news - Research in second language assessment. Language Teaching 50 (1)
- Knoch, U., McNamara, T., Elder, C. (2017). Submission to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection on the discussion paper ‘Strengthening the test for the Australian citizenship’. Melbourne: Language Testing Research Centre.
- Knoch, U., McNamara, T., Elder, C. (2017). Submission to the senate enquiry on the proposed revisions to the citizenship law. Melbourne: Language Testing Research Centre.
- Knoch, U., Macqueen, S. (2017). Assessment in the L2 classroom. Loewen, S. and Sato, M. (Eds.). The Routledge Handbook of Instructed Second Language Acquisition. Routledge.
- Wigglesworth, G. and Frost, K. (2016). Task and performance based assessment. In Shohamy, E., Or I.G., and May, S. (Eds). Encyclopedia of Language and Education. Language Testing and Assessment. Springer.
- Elder, C. (2016). Introduction to special issue. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 5, 1:iii-viii
- Elder, C. (2016).Exploring the limits of authenticity in language testing: the case of a specific purpose language test for health professionals. Language Testing 33, 2: 147-152
- Elder, C. (Ed.) (2016) The limits of authenticity in language testing. Special issue of Language Testing, Vol 33, 2:147-301
- Elder, C. (Ed.) (2016) Evaluating language assessment programs and systems in use. Special issue of Papers in Language Testing and Assessment Vol 5, 1. i- 126
- Elder, C. (Ed.) (2016) Evaluating language assessment programs/projects in use. Special Issue of Papers in Language Testing and Assessment 5.1
- Elder, C. and McNamara, T. (2016). The hunt for ‘indigenous criteria’ in assessing communication in the physiotherapy workplace. Language Testing 33, 2: 153-174
- Fan, J. (2016). How to improve stakeholders’ language assessment literacy - The case of the Language Testing Centre at Fudan University. The Way of Language: Learning, Assessment, and Culture, 7, 48-51
- Fan, J. (2016). The construct and predictive validity of a self-assessment scale. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 5(2), 69-100
- Fan, J. and Bond, T. (2016). Using MFRM and SEM in the validation of analytic rating scales of an English speaking assessment. In Zhang, Q. (Ed). Pacific Rim Objective Measurement Symposium (PROMS) 2015 Conference Proceedings (pp. 29-50). Springer Science+Business Media Singapore
- Fan, J., Knoch, U., and Bi, Z. (2016). Factor structure and factorial invariance of language tests: A longitudinal multiple-sample CFA study. Foreign Language Testing and Teaching, 6(3): 16-27
- Hughson, J., Woodward-Kron, R., Parker, A., Bresin, A., Hajek, J., Knoch, U., Story, D., Phan, T. (2016). A review of approaches to improve participation of culturally and linguistically diverse populations in clinical trials. Trials, 17, 263 DOI: 10.1186/s13063-016-1384-3
- Fan, J. and Yan, X. (2017). From test performance to language use: Using self-assessment to validate a high-stakes English proficiency test. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher. Doi: 10.1007/s40299-017-0327-4.
- Knoch, U. (2016). Validation of Writing Assessment in Chapelle (Ed). Encyclopaedia of Applied Linguistics. Wiley
- Knoch, U. (2016). What can pronunciation researchers learn from research into second language writing? In Isaacs, T. and Trofimovich, P. (Eds). Interfaces in second language pronunciation assessment: interdisciplinary perspectives. Bristol, UK: Multilingual Matters
- Knoch, U. and Elder, C. (2016). Post-entry English language assessments at university: How diagnostic are they? In Aryadoust, V. and Fox, J. (Eds). Current Trends in Language Testing in the Pacific Rim and the Middle East: Policies, Analyses, and Diagnoses. pp. 210-230. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle-on-Tyne, UK
- Knoch, U., Elder, C., and O’Hagan, S. (2016). Examining the validity of a post-entry screening tool embedded in a specific policy context. In Read, J. (Ed) Post-admission language assessment of university students. Cham, Switzerland: Springer
- Knoch, U., Fairbairn, J., Huisman, A. (2016). An evaluation of an online rater training program for the speaking and writing sub-test of the Aptis. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, Vol 5,1, pp 90-106
- Knoch, U. and Macqueen, S. (2016) Language Assessment in the workplace. In Tsagari, D and Banerjee, J. (Eds). Handbook of Second Language Assessment. De Gruyter Mouton
- Macqueen, S., S. O’Hagan and B. Hughes (2016). Negotiating the boundary between achievement and proficiency: An evaluation of the exit standard of an academic English pathway program. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment 5 (1), 107-123
- Macqueen, S., Pill, J., Elder, C. and Knoch, U. (2016) Language test as boundary object: Perspectives from test users in the healthcare domain. Language Testing 33 (2), 271-288
- Morton, J., Elder, C., McNamara, T. (2016). Pattern and particularity in a pedagogical genre: The case of an individual teacher. In Duché, V., Do, T., Rizzi, A. (Eds.) Genre, text and language: Mélanges Anne Freadman. Librairie Garnier, Paris
- Woodward-Kron, R. and Elder, C. (2016). A comparative discourse study of simulated roleplays in two assessment contexts: Validating a specific purpose language test. Language Testing, 33, 2: 251-270
- Woodward-Kron, R., Hughson, J., Parker, A., Bresin, A., Hajek, J., Knoch, U., Phan, T., Story, D. (2016). Culturally and linguistically diverse populations in medical research: perceptions and experiences of older Italians, their families, ethics administrators and researchers. Journal of Public Health Research, 5, 667
- Bitchener, J. and Knoch, U. (2015). Replication of written corrective feedback studies: Bitchener and Knoch (2010) and van Beuningen, de Jong and Kuiken (2012). Language Teaching, 48, 3, 405-414
- Elder, C. (2015). Obituary, Language Assessment Quarterly, 12:4, 430-431, DOI:10.1080/15434303.2015.1117918
- Elder, C. Pill, J. Frost, K. and Bow, C. (2015) Marching out of step: the uneasy links between task-based language competencies for military purposes and a general proficiency scale. In H. DeSilva Joyce and E. Thomson (eds.) Language in uniform: Language and analysis and training for defence and policing purposes (pp. 223-240. Cambridge Scholars Publishing
- Elder, C. and Read, J. (2015a). Post-entry language assessments in Australia. In Read, J. Assessing English Proficiency for University Study. Palgrave MacMillan
- Elder, C. and Read, J. (2015b) Post-entry language assessments in other countries. In Read, J. Assessing English Proficiency for University Study. Palgrave MacMillan
- Kim, H. and Elder, C. (2015). Interrogating the construct of aviation English: feedback from test takers in Korea. Language Testing, 32,2: 129-149. DOI: 10, 1177/0265532214544394
- Knoch, U. and McNamara, T. (2015). Rasch analysis. In L. Plonsky (Ed.), Advancing quantitative methods in second language research. Taylor and Francis/Routledge
- Knoch, U., McNamara, T., Woodward-Kron, R., Elder, C., Manias, E., Flynn, E., Zhang, Y. (2015). Towards improved language assessment of written health professional communication: the case of the Occupational English Test. Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 4, 2, 60-66
- Knoch, U., Roushad, A., Oon, S.P., Storch, N. (2015). What happens to ESL students’ writing after three years of study at an English medium university? Journal of Second Language Writing 28, 39-52
- Macqueen, S., Woodward-Kron, R., Flynn, E., Reid, K., Elliott, K., Slade, D. (2015). A resource for teaching emergency care communication. The Clinical Teacher. doi: 10.1111/tct.12423
- O’Hagan, S., J. Pill and Y. Zhang (2015). Extending the scope of speaking assessment criteria in a specific-purpose language test: Operationalizing a health professional perspective. Language Testing 33 (2) 33(2) 195–216.
- O’Hagan, S. and Wigglesworth, G. (2015). Who’s marking my essay? The assessment of non native-speaker and native-speaker undergraduate essays in an Australian higher education context. Studies in Higher Education, 40 (9): 1729-1747
- Knoch, U., Rouhshad, A., Storch, N. "Does the writing of undergraduate ESL students develop after one year of study in an English-medium university?" in Assessing Writing 21, 2014, pp. 1-17
- Knoch, U. "Using subject specialists to validate an ESP rating scale: The case of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) rating scale," in English for Specific Purposes 33(1), 2014, pp. 77-86
- O'Hagan, S. Variability in assessor responses to undergraduate essays: an issue for assessment quality in higher education. Peter Lang, 2014
- O'Hagan, S., Manias, E., Elder, C., Pill, J., Woodward-Kron, R., McNamara, T., Webb, G. and McColl, G. "What counts as effective communication in nursing? Evidence from nurse educators' and clinicians' feedback on nurse interactions with simulated patients," in Journal of Advanced Nursing 70(6), 2014, pp. 1344-1354
- Elder, C. and Kim, S.H.O. "Assessing teachers' language proficiency," in Kunnan, A. J. (ed.). The companion to language assessment. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013, pp. 454-470
- Elder, C., McNamara, T., Woodward-Kron, R., Manias, E., McColl, G., Webb, G., Pill, J., and O'Hagan, S. "Developing and validating language proficiency standards for non-native English speaking health professionals," in Papers in Language Testing and Assessment 2(1), 2013, pp. 66-70
- Knoch, U. and Elder, C. "A framework for validating post-entry language assessments (PELAs)," in Papers in Language Testing and Assessment 2(2), 2013, pp. 44-68
- Macqueen, S. "Emergence in second language writing: A methodological inroad," in Revista Brasileira de Linguística Aplicada 13(2), 2013, pp. 493-515
- Pill, J. and Harding, L. "Defining the language assessment literacy gap: Evidence from a parliamentary inquiry," in Language Testing 30(3), 2013, pp. 381-402
- Woodward-Kron, R., Flynn, E., Macqueen, S., Enright, H. and McColl, G. "The state of emergency communication skills teaching in Australian medical schools: Gaps, barriers, and opportunities," in Focus on Health Professional Education 14(3), 2013, pp. 49-63
- Elder, C. "Bias in language assessment," in Chapelle, C. (ed.,). The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Oxford: Blackwell, 2012, pp. 406-412
- Elder, C., Barber, M., Staples, M., Osborne, R., Clerehan, R. and Buchbinder, R. "Assessing health literacy: A new domain for collaboration between language testers and health professionals," in Language Assessment Quarterly, 9, 2012, pp. 205-224
- Elder, C., Kim, H. and Knoch, U. "Documenting the diversity of learner achievements in Asian languages using common measures," in Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, 35(3), 2012, pp. 251-270
- Elder, C., Pill, J., Woodward-Kron, R., McNamara, T., Manias, E., Webb, G. and McColl, G. "Health professionals' views of communication: Implications for assessing performance on a health-specific English language test," in TESOL Quarterly, 46(2), 2012, pp. 409-419
- Frost, K., Elder, C. and Wigglesworth, G. "Investigating the validity of an integrated listening-speaking task: A discourse-based analysis of test takers’ oral performances," in Language Testing, 29, 2012, pp. 345-369
- Greenstock, L., Woodward-Kron, R., Fraser, C., Bingham, A., Naccarella, L., Elliott, K. and Morris, M. "Telecommunications as a means to access health information: an exploratory study of migrants in Australia," in Journal of Public Health Research, 1, 2012, pp. 216-221
- Knoch, U. "At the intersection of language assessment and academic advising: Communicating results of a large-scale diagnostic academic English writing assessment to students and stakeholders," in Papers in Language Testing and Assessment, 1, 2012, pp. 31-49
- Knoch, U. "Expanding the notion of task in writing assessment: Towards a comprehensive research agenda," in Byrnes, H. and Manchón, R. M. (eds.,). Task-based L2 learning: Insights from and for L2 Writing. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, 2012
- Macqueen, S. The emergence of patterns in second language writing: A sociocognitive exploration of lexical trails (Vol. 137). Bern: Peter Lang, 2012
- McNamara, T. and Knoch, U. "The Rasch Wars: The emergence of Rasch measurement in Language Testing," in Language Testing, 29(4), 2012, pp. 553-574
- Scarino, A. and Elder, C. "Preface: Describing school achievement in Asian languages for diverse learner groups," in Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, 35, 2012, pp. 225-230
- Woodward-Kron, R. and Pill, J. "How professionally relevant can language tests be? A response to Wette (2011)," in Language Assessment Quarterly, 9, 3023, pp. 105-108
- Woodward-Kron, R., van Die, D., Webb, G., Pill, J., Elder, C., McNamara, T. and Manias, E. "Perspectives from physiotherapy supervisors on student-patient communication," in International Journal of Medical Education, 3, 2012, pp. 166-174
- Bitchener, J. and Knoch, U. "Raising the linguistic accuracy level of advanced L2 writers with written corrective feedback," in Parks, S., Adler-Kassner, L., Bailie, B. and Caton, C. (eds.,). The best of the independent rhetoric and composition journals. Anderson, SC: Parlor Press, 2011
- Elder, C., Barkhuizen, G., Knoch, U. and von Randow, J. "Evaluating rater responses to an online training program for writing assessment," in Thomas, M. (ed.,). Online Learning. London: Sage Publications, 2011
- Harding, L., Pill, J., and Ryan, K. "Assessor decision-making while marking a note-taking listening task: The case of the OET," in Language Assessment Quarterly, 8(2), 2011, pp. 108-126
- Knoch, U. "Rating scales for diagnostic assessment of writing: Where should the criteria come from?" in Assessing Writing, 16(2), 2011a, pp. 81-96
- Knoch, U. "Investigating the effectiveness of individualized feedback to rating behaviour - a longitudinal study," in Language Testing 28(2), 2011b, pp. 179-200
- McNamara, T. F. and Ryan, K. "Fairness versus justice in language testing: the place of English literacy in the Australian Citizenship Test," in Language Assessment Quarterly, 8(2), 2011, pp. 161-178
- Ryan, K. and McNamara, T. F. "Testing identity: Language tests and Australian citizenship," in Norrby, C. and Hajek, J. (eds.,). Uniformity and Diversity in Language Policy: Global Perspectives. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, 2011
- Zhang, C. and Elder, C. "Judgments of oral proficiency by non-native and native English speaking teacher raters: competing or complementary constructs?" in Language Testing, 28(1), 2011, pp.31-50