RUMACCC regularly conducts a free workshop for families raising their children bi- or trilingually and for early childhood and pre-school workers, teachers and others interested in bilingual education.
The next seminar will take place in 2021. Further details will be published here as they become available.
The ‘Raising Children in more than one Language’ – workshops include presentations from Dr Susanne Döpke and Professor John Hajek as well as other presenters, most of whom have successfully raised their own children to be bilingual.
Seminar topics include:
- Issues in raising children bilingually
- Recognising the child’s own needs in the language
- Practical suggestions for helping your child learn your language
- Maximising the advantages from school programs, grandparents, overseas visits and the community
- Using the internet and digital media in working with children
The seminars have been very popular and well received. Our most recent workshop in November 2019 attracted over 300 parents, grandparents and caregivers interested in raising their children with more than one language. We are happy to make available some of the materials of these seminars:
- Averil Grieve’s 2019 presentation on Introducing a new language to your child – it’s never too late! (3.0Mb pdf)
- Trevor Strolla’s 2019 presentation on the bilingual program at Brunswick South Primary School (780kb pdf)
- Presentation by John Hajek and Brigitte Lambert on Using grandparents and other resources to support language learning and maintenance (12.8Mb pdf)
- Presentation by Averil Grieve on Enhancing the language experience in the community and at school (12.8Mb pdf)
We have been able to offer these workshops free of charge due to the support of Community Languages Australia, the Ethnic Schools Association of Victoria and the Victorian Government through the Victorian Department of Education and Training.
More information for parents
You may also be interested in the following articles by Dr Susanne Döpke on:
- Raising children in more than one language: Strategies in the family (320kb pdf)
- (Re-)Introducing the home language to the older child (360kb pdf)
- Motivating the child to talk (250kb pdf)
- Reading and writing (280kb pdf)
- Language development in bilingual children (320kb pdf)
We have also compiled a list of further readings and resources: Raising children in more than one language: useful resources (210kb pdf).