Papers published by RUMACCC researchers in academic journals.
- Amorati, Riccardo, and John Hajek. 2021. "Fostering motivation and creativity through self-publishing as project-based learning in the Italian L2 classroom," in Foreign Language Annals 54, pp. 1003-1026.
- Cohrssen, Caroline, Yvette Slaughter and Edith Nicolas. 2021. "Leveraging languages for learning: Incorporating plurilingual pedagogies in early childhood education and care," in TESOL in Context 30:1, pp. 11–31.
- D'Orazzi, Giuseppe, and John Hajek. 2021. "Italian language learning and student motivation at Australian universities," in Italian Studies 76:4, pp. 447-465.
- Mason, Shannon, and John Hajek. 2021. "Italian language education in Australia: Public perceptions through the eyes of the press," in The Italianist 41:1, pp. 132-151.
- Nguyen, Trang Thi Thuy, and John Hajek. 2021. "Anglo-Sino social mobility? English and Chinese language aspirations of international English-medium students in a Chinese-dominant context," in International Journal of Multilingualism, published online 22/11/2021, https://doi.org/10.1080/14790718.2021.2002335
- Nguyen, Trang Thi Tuhy, and John Hajek. 2021. "Motivation for learning Chinese as an additional foreign language in a study aboard context: Vietnamese students in Taiwan," in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, published online 16/3/2021, https://doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2021.1899191
- Norrby, Catrin. 2021. "Interaction and variation in pluricentric languages: Communicative patterns in Sweden Swedish and Finland Swedish," in Sociolinguistica 35, pp. 267-276. https://doi.org/10.1515/soci-2021-0013
- Schüpbach, Doris, John Hajek, Heinz L. Kretzenbacher and Catrin Norrby. 2021. "Approaches to the study of address in pluricentric languages: Methodological reflections," in Sociolinguistica 35, pp. 165-188. https://doi.org/10.1515/soci-2021-0009
- Slaughter, Yvette, Gary Bonar, and Anne Keary. 2021. "The role of membership viewpoints in shaping language teacher associations: A Q methodology analysis," in TESOL Quarterly 56, pp. 281-307.
- Slaughter, Yvette, Anne Keary, Gillian Pennington and Gary Bonar. 2021. "Editorial: Languages in early childhood education," in TESOL in Context 30:1, pp. 1–8.
- Wide, Camilla, Catrin Norrby and Leigh Oakes. 2021. "New perspectives on pluricentricity," in Sociolinguistica 35, pp. 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1515/soci-2021-0001
- Choi, Julie, and Slaughter, Yvette 2020. "Challenging discourses of deficit: Understanding the vibrancy and complexity of multilingualism through language trajectory grids," in Language Teaching Research 25:1, pp. 81-104. doi:10.1177/1362168820938825
- de Haro, Alfredo Herrero, and Hajek, John. 2020. "Eastern Andalusian Spanish." in Journal of the International Phonetic Association 1-22. doi:10.1017/s0025100320000146
- D'warte, Jacqueline, and Slaughter, Yvette. 2020. "Introduction: Reframing language in teaching and learning: Leveraging students' meaning-making repertoires," in Language Teaching Research 25:1, pp. 5-11. doi:10.1177/1362168820971753
- Escudero, Paola, Jones Diaz, Criss, Hajek, John, Wigglesworth, Gillian, and Smit, Eline Adrienne. 2020. "Probability of heritage language use at a supportive early childhood setting in Australia," in Frontiers in Education 5:1, pp. 1-11. doi:10.3389/feduc.2020.00093
- Hajek, John, and Goglia, Francesco. 2020. "The East Timorese in Australia: multilingual repertoires, language attitudes, practices and identity in the diaspora," in Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 41:3, pp. 264-281. doi:10.1080/01434632.2019.1617295
- Hamzah, Mohd Hilmi, Hajek, John, and Fletcher, Janet. 2020. "Non-durational acoustic correlates of word-initial consonant gemination in Kelantan Malay: The potential roles of amplitude and f0," in Journal of the International Phonetic Association 50:1, pp. 23-60. doi:10.1017/S0025100318000142
- Krause, Amanda, Lloyd-Smith, Anya and Hajek, John. 2020. "The role of community language radio for understanding creativity and wellbeing in migrant communities in Australia," in International Journal of Wellbeing 10:5, pp. 83-99. doi:10.5502/ijw.v10i5.1495
- Kretzenbacher, Heinz L., Hajek, John, Norrby, Catrin and Schüpbach, Doris. 2020. "Social deixis at international conferences: Austrian German speakers’ introduction and address behaviour in German and English," in Journal of Pragmatics 169, pp. 100-119. doi:10.1016/j.pragma.2020.08.007
- Nilsson, Jenny, Norrby, Catrin, Bohman, L., Skogmyr Marian, K., Wide, Camilla and Lindström, Jan. 2020. "What’s in a greeting? The social meaning of greetings in Sweden-Swedish and Finland-Swedish service encounters," in Journal of Pragmatics 168, pp. 1–15. doi:10.1016/j.pragma.2020.06.007
- Riehl, Claudia Maria, Kretzenbacher, Heinz L., Hajek, John and López, Julia Blanco. 2020. "Strategies of addressing in the learning process of German as a foreign language," in Deutsch als Fremdsprache 57:3, pp. 155-167.
- Slaughter, Yvette, and Cross, Russell. 2020. "Challenging the monolingual mindset: Understanding plurilingual pedagogies in English as an Additional Language (EAL) classrooms," in Language Teaching Research 25:1, pp. 39-60. doi:10.1177/1362168820938819
- Slaughter, Yvette, Choi, Julie, Nunan, David, Black, Hayley, Grimaud, Rebecca, and Trinh, Han. 2020. "The affordances and limitations of collaborative research in the TESOL classroom," in Tesol in Context 29:2, pp. 1-19.
- Hajek, John and Williams-van Klinken, Catharina. 2019. "Language contact and gender in Tetun Dili: What happens when Austronesian meets Romance?", in Oceanic Linguistics 58:1, pp. 59-91. doi 10.1353/ol.2019.0003
- Lindström, Jan, Norrby, Catrin, Wide, Camilla and Nilsson, Jenny. 2019. "Task-completing assessments in service encounters", in Research on Language and Social Interaction, 52:2, pp. 85-103, doi 10.1080/08351813.2019.1581468
- Mason, Shannon and Hajek, John. 2019. "Representing language education in Australian universities: An analysis of press reporting (2007-2016)", in Language Learning in Higher Education 9:1, 179-202, doi: 10.1515/cercles-2019-0012
- Scrimgeour, Andrew, Morgan, Anne-Marie, Cruickshank, Ken and Hajek, John. 2019. "Refocussing on community languages", in Babel 53:3, pp. 5-13
- Slaughter, Yvette, Lo Bianco, Joseph, Aliani, Renata, Cross, Russell and Hajek, John. 2019. "Language programming in rural and regional Victoria: Listening to local viewpoints and designing new ways forward", in Australian Review of Applied Linguistics 42:3, pp. 274-300, doi: 10.1075/aral.18030.sla
- Slaughter, Yvette, O’Brien, Annemaree, Hajek, John and Smith, Wally. 2019. "Distance education for languages – the role of technological knowledge", in Babel, 54:3, pp. 12-17
- Slaughter, Yvette, Smith, Wally, and Hajek, John. 2019. "Videoconferencing and the networked provision of language programs in regional and rural schools", in ReCALL 31:2, pp. 204-217, doi: 10.1017/S0958344018000101
- Wide, Camilla, Lappalainen, Hanna, Rouhikoski, Anu, Norrby, Catrin, Lindholm, Camilla, Lindström Jan and Nilsson, Jenny. 2019. "Variation in address practices across languages and nations: A comparative study of doctors’ use of address forms in medical consultations in Sweden and Finland", in Pragmatics, 29:4, 595–621, doi: 10.1075/prag.18031.wid
- Hamzah, Mohd Hilmi, Hajek, John and Fletcher, Janet. 2018. "Non-durational acoustic correlates of word-initial consonant gemination in Kelantan Malay: The potential roles of amplitude and f0," in Journal of the International Phonetic Association, pp. 1-38
- Hughson, Jo-anne, Daly, Justin Oliver, Woodward-Kron, Robyn, Hajek, John and Story, David. 2018. "The rise of pregnancy apps and the implications for culturally and linguistically diverse women: Narrative review, " in JMIR mHealth and uHealth 6(11):e189
- Mason, Shannon and Hajek, John. 2018. "Language education and language ideologies in Australian print media," in Applied Linguistics, doi.org/10.1093/applin/amy052.
- Tsukada, Kimiko, Cox, Felicity, Hajek, John and Hirata, Yukari. 2017. "Non-native Japanese learners' perception of consonant length in Japanese and Italian," in Second Language Research 34(2), pp. 179-200
- Williams-van Klinken, Catharina and Hajek, John. 2018. "Language contact and functional expansion in Tetun Dili: The evolution of a new press register," in Multilingua 37(6), pp. 613-647
- Williams-van Klinken, Catharina and Hajek, John, 2018. "Mixing numeral systems in Timor-Leste," in NUSA: Linguistic studies of languages in and around Indonesia, 64, pp. 65-94
- Hughson, Jo-anne, Marshall, Fiona, Daly, Justin Oliver, Woodward-Kron, Robyn, Hajek, John and Story, David. 2017. "Health professionals' views on health literacy issues for culturally and linguistically diverse women in maternity care: barriers, enablers and the need for an integrated approach," in Australian Health Review 42(1), pp. 10-20
- Nilsson, Jenny, Norrby, Catrin, Lindström, Jan and Wide, Camilla. 2017. "Hälsningsfrasers sociala värde i sverigesvenskt och finlandssvenskt talspråk" ["The social value of greetings in spoken Sweden Swedish and Finland Swedish"], in Swedish Dialects and Folk Traditions = Svenska landsmål och svenskt folkliv, 2016, pp. 136-167
- Brohy, Claudine and Schüpbach, Doris. 2016. "Protection des minorités ou promotion du plurilinguisme? Droits linguistiques, politique et pratiques dans deux villes bilingues suisses" ["Protecting of minorities or promoting multilingualism? Language rights, policies and practices in two bilingual cities in Switzerland"], in Droit et Cultures 72, pp. 181-226
- Formentelli, Maicol and Hajek, John. 2016. "Address practices in academic interactions in a pluricentric language: Australian English, American English and British English," in Pragmatics 26(4), pp. 631-652
- Hughson, Jo-anne, Woodward-Kron, Robyn, Parker, Anna, Hajek, John, Bresin, Agnese, Knoch, Ute, Phan, Tuong Dien and Story David. 2016. "A review of approaches to improve participation of culturally and linguistically diverse populations in clinical trials," in Trials 17(1)
- Woodward-Kron, Robyn, Hughson, Jo-anne, Parker, Anna, Bresin, Agnese, Hajek, John, Knoch, Ute, Phan, Tuong Dien and Story, David. 2016. "Culturally and linguistically diverse populations in medical research: perceptions and experiences of older Italians, their families, ethics administrators and researchers," in Journal of Public Health Research 5(1), pp. 43-51
- Nelson, Marie, Henricson, Sofie, Norrby, Catrin, Wide, Camilla, Lindström, Jan and Nilsson, Jenny. 2015. "Att dela språk men inte samtalsmönster. Återkoppling i sverigesvenska och finlandssvenska handledningssamtal" ["To share a language but not interactional patterns. Feedback in Sweden-Swedish and Finland-Swedish supervision meetings"], in Folkmålsstudier 53, pp. 141-166
- Norrby, Catrin Wide, Camilla, Lindström, Jan and Nilsson, Jenny. 2015. "Interpersonal relationships in medical consultations. Comparing Sweden Swedish and Finland Swedish address practices," in Journal of Pragmatics 84, pp. 121-138
- Hajek, John and Slaughter, Yvette. 2014. "RUMACCC, helping to understand and support languages education," in Languages Victoria 18, pp. 40-42
- Lagerberg, Robert, Kretzenbacher, Heinz L. and Hajek, John. 2014. "Forms and patterns of address in Russian: Recent research and future directions," in Australian Slavonic and East European Studies 28, pp. 179-209
- Norrby, Catrin, Wide, Camilla, Lindström, Jan and Nilsson, Jenny. 2014. "Finns det nationella svenska kommunikationsmönster? Tilltal i läkare-patientsamtal i Sverige och Finland" ["Are there national Swedish communicative patterns? Address in medical consultations in Sweden and Finland"], in Nordica Helsingiensia 37, pp. 343-352
- Clyne, Michael, Cordella, Marisa, Schüpbach, Doris, and Maher, Brigid. 2013. "Connecting younger second-language learners and older bilinguals: Interconnectedness and social inclusion," in International Journal of Multilingualism 10(4), pp. 375-393
- Kretzenbacher, Heinz L., Hajek John, Lagerberg, Robert and Bresin, Agnese. 2013. "Address forms in language contact and language conflict: The curious history and remnants of onikáni in Czech," in Australian Slavonic and East European Studies 27, pp. 87-103
- Musgrave, Simon and Hajek, John. 2013. "Minority language speakers as migrants: some preliminary observations on the Sudanese community in Melbourne," in International Journal of Multilingualism 10, pp. 394-410
- Hajek, John, Nettelbeck, Colin and Woods, Anya. 2012. "Re-professionalizing the profession: countering juniorization and casualization in the tertiary sector," in Journal of Local-Global 9, pp. 60-75
- Norrby, Catrin and Warren, Jane. 2012. "Address practices and social relationships in European languages," in Language and Linguistics Compass 6(4), pp 225-235
- Kretzenbacher, Heinz L. 2011. "Perceptions of national and regional standards of addressing in Germany and Austria," in Pragmatics 21(1), pp. 69-83