Faculty of Arts Graduate Coursework Conference Grants
- 1st Jan 2018
- 31st Dec 2018
- Study level
- Graduate coursework
- Enrolment status
- Current student
- University Trust Record
- Study Area
The Faculty of Arts offers a limited number of conference grants to graduate coursework students in the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GSHSS).
Applications are accepted all year round and are assessed three times annually. Applications are open to students who meet the following criteria:
- The applicant has been invited to attend the conference and/or will be presenting at the conference (confirmation must be provided)
- The conference content is relevant to the student’s current program of graduate coursework study (to be determined by the Course Coordinator)
- The student agrees to report (in writing or in person) to their academic school on content relevant to the conference upon their return
- The student has completed at least 37.5 points and a semester of study at The University of Melbourne in the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences towards the degree to which the conference is relevant
- The student provides a copy of their receipts for the relevant approved expenditure (conference registration, air fares, accommodation)
The Graduate Coursework Conference Grants are competitive as limited funding is available.
Up to $500 is awarded for local conferences, up to $1000 for interstate conferences, and up to $2000 for overseas conferences. The amount awarded will correspond to a percentage of the documented conference registration, travel and accommodation costs.
- Applicants are only eligible to receive the grant once during their course
- Winning applicants please note: The University of Melbourne reserves the right to publish the name of the winning applicant on its websites and other University of Melbourne publications
- No late applications will be accepted for consideration until the next round. Retrospective applications will be accepted, for conferences attended in the twelve months preceding application
- It is assumed that the relevant EHS and Risk Assessment forms have/will be managed by the student
- Approval of travel will be contingent upon the current Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) advice in respect to level of safety of overseas destination, available at the Smart Traveller website. Applications for Special Circumstances approval will be referred to the Academic Registrar, who must be provided with documentation of the grounds for this special consideration
Please allow at least four to six working weeks from submission of your application to formal notification of the outcome by email.
You may apply once you have been invited to attend and/or present at the conference. The following documents must be submitted to the Faculty of Arts in the event that your grant is approved:
- Paid receipts for conference registration
- Paid receipts for economy fare return flights or equivalent overland transport fares to and from the conference destination. Where travel to and from a conference destination is framed by personal travel, only a percentage of travel costs will be considered associated with the internship. Please do not submit receipts for everyday travel
- Paid receipts for accommodation costs associated with the duration of the conference. Costs for accommodation outside of the timeframe of the conference as specified in conference materials will not be considered associated with the conference
- Confirmation in writing (eg email) from your course coordinator specifying that the conference is relevant to your current degree program
- Confirmation in writing (eg email) from conference organisers specifying that you have been invited to attend or to present at the conference for which you are applying for funding
Only applications containing the aforementioned documentation will be considered. Applications are evaluated three times a year. Applications must be submitted by the close of business on the following dates:
Round 1 application deadline: 31 May 2018
Round 2 application deadline: 30 November 2018
No late applications will be accepted for consideration until the next round. Retrospective applications will be accepted, for travel in the same year of the application.
- Application is via the online form
- You must complete all sections of the form
- You must provide all requested documents