Hannah Barry Memorial Award
The Hannah Barry Memorial Award is a single award that is open to all current undergraduate University of Melbourne students, including those from the Faculty of the VCA and Music. Applicants' creative work must be based in the performing arts and will be awarded based on artistic merit. The award is to assist the recipient in the development of a creative work in the performing arts.
The award is named after a talented actress and artist who was a student of the former School of Creative Arts, The University of Melbourne. Hannah was killed in a motorcycle accident in June 2002.
The purpose of the award is to provide an opportunity, by travel or otherwise, for the successful undergraduate student to undertake creative work for the purposes stated in their application. The award will fund the creative development phase of the proposal. The work may be produced in any performing arts form and any language.
The project must be realised within 12 months of the recipient receiving the money, and the application must demonstrate to the committee that the project is both creatively worthy and financially and logistically achievable. The prize money cannot be used to fund retrospective projects.
$850. The amount available for this award is approximate. It will be confirmed at the time of awarding and determined by the committee according to the terms of the award.
The recipient must;
- Spend money and complete the project within 12 months of winning the prize
- Write a report on the project and submit it to the Board within two months of completing the project
- If there is an official launch of the artistic project the recipient is asked to invite the donor and the selection committee
- All promotion of the artistic project must credit funding from the Hannah Barry Memorial Award
- If after 12 months of winning the prize the student has not completed their project they are to return the prize money to the University
Applications must include:
- Cover sheet with contact details/address/telephone number and email address
- A written proposal, consisting of a clear creative concept (no more than two A4 pages)
- A project budget showing how the prize money would be applied and any other sources of funding for the project
- Evidence of performing arts creative work to date (curriculum vitae, folio, DVD, etc. No more than eight A4 pages plus DVD if relevant)
- Academic transcript to date
Applications must be emailed to:
University of Melbourne Theatre Board