The Willem Snoek Conservation Award
The Willem Snoek Conservation Fund was established in 2016 to support student activities at the University of Melbourne’s Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation, or its successor, in the field of heritage conservation. Several donors contributed to the Fund, including Professor Robyn Sloggett AM, Director of the Centre, and Mr Robert W Cripps AM who each contributed $25,000.
Willem Snoek was an archaeologist, teacher, craftsman and heritage conservator. He was a graduate of the University of Melbourne (B.A, Dip. Ed.) and La Trobe University (Hons. Archaeology). He worked on sites and places across Victoria and southern South Australia, and for Indigenous communities, government organisations, corporations and private individuals. He was the husband of Professor Robyn Sloggett, Director of the Grimwade Centre.
One or more awards may be offered from this amount.
Open to students enrolled in a course of study or research in the field of heritage conservation at the University of Melbourne's Grimwade Centre for Cultural Materials Conservation.
Recipients are required to:
- Accept the award online within 21 days
- Acquit the project in line with the stated aims of the application
- Write two letters of appreciation to the donor/committee and any partners involved in the project (upon acceptance and after completion)
- Submit a final report within 21 days of completion of the project
- The project should be completed, with reports submitted, by 1 June in the year following the presentation of the award
Proposals should identify a cultural materials conservation project, and should outline the scope of the project, provide a plan and timeline, explain the level of innovation demonstrated by the project and outline how it will have an impact within relevant communities.
Eligible applicants must complete an online application which includes the following:
- 500-word project proposal
- Budget outline (no more than one page)
- Plan and timeline (no more than one page)
- Letters of support from partners (if necessary)
- Letter of reference
- Current academic record/ transcript (or some other form of evidence showing you meet eligibility)