Authored research books
Gelder, Ken and Weaver, Rachael. Colonial Australian Fiction: Character Types, Social Formations and the Colonial Economy. Sydney University Press, 2017.
This book is a unique exploration of the many character types vividly portrayed in colonial Australian fiction. In the book the authors explore the genres in which these characters flourished: the squatter novel, the bushranger adventure, colonial detective stories, the swagman's yarn, the Australian girl's romance. More information...
Marsden, R. The Temporary 01: Architectures of Change, 2017.
'The Temporary' is a transcultural exchange platform and social intervention space examining the notion of "temporary" experience in art, architecture, design, music, sound and performance between China and the UK. Taking place in Birmingham and Manchester, 'The Temporary: 01' is the inaugural exhibition, examining "temporary" negotiations of space and place within cityscapes. More information (7.2Mb pdf)
Patterson, E. redactor. Whitemore Press, 2017.
redactor uses found texts from the everyday emails, memos, notes, lyrics, text messages, tweets, webfeeds - as poetic material. Drawing on techniques from the visual arts and radical writing such as the ready-made, the cut-up and the concrete poem, Eddie Paterson reflects upon the ways in which the historical legacy of censorship intersects with contemporary surveillance technologies. More information...
Whitty, M and Young, G. Cyberpsychology The Study of Individuals, Society and Digital Technologies. Wiley, 2017.
An important new BPS Textbook in Psychology exploring the interactions between individuals, societies, and digital technologies. The book outlines key theories and empirical research within cyberpsychology and provides critical assessments of this rapidly changing field and covers topics such as online identity, online relationships and dating, pornography, children's use of the internet, cyberbullying, online games and gambling, and deception and online crime. More information...
Hyde, Melissa and Milam, Jennifer (eds.,). Women, Art and the Politics of Identity in Eighteenth-Century Europe. Routledge, 2017.
While women's private lives, their involvement with cultural production, the project of Enlightenment, and the public sphere have been the subjects of ground-breaking historical and literary studies in recent decades, women's engagement with the arts remains one of the richest and most under-explored areas for scholarly investigation. This collection of new essays by specialist authors addresses women's activities as patrons and as "patronized" artists over the course of the century. It provides a much needed examination, with admirable breadth and variety, of women's artistic production and patronage during the eighteenth century. More information...
McLean, Ian and Jorgensen, D. (eds.,). Indigenous Archives: The Making and Unmaking of Aboriginal Art. University of Western Australia Press, 2017.
The archive is a source of power. It takes control of the past, deciding which voices will be heard and which won't, how they will be heard and for what purposes. Indigenous archivists were at work well before the European Enlightenment arrived and began its own archiving. Sometimes at odds, other times not, these two ways of ordering the world have each learned from, and engaged with, the other... The eighteen essays by twenty authors investigate different aspects of this struggle in Australia, from traditional Indigenous archives and their developments in recent times to the deconstruction of European archives by contemporary artists as acts of cultural empowerment. More information...
Varney, D. and Diamond, E. and Amich, C. (eds.,). Performance Feminism and Affect in Neoliberal Times. Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
This book is a provocative new study of global feminist activism that opposes neoliberal regimes across several sites including Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America and the United States. The feminist performative acts featured in the book contest the aggressive unravelling of collectively won gains in gender, sexual and racial equality, the appearance of new planes of discrimination, and the social consequences of political economies based on free market ideology. More information...
Research book chapters
- Baker, D. "Hercules: Transmedia Superhero Mythology," in The New Peplum Essays on Sword and Sandal Films and Television Programs Since the 1990s
- Baker, D. "Terms of Excess: Binge-viewing, epic-viewing, and the Netflix effect," in The Age of Netflix Critical Essays on Streaming Media, Digital Delivery and Instant Access
- Beckett, J. "An Allegorical Childhood: Identity and Coming of Age in Terry Loane's Mickybo and Me," in Childhood and Nation in Contemporary World Cinema: Borders and Encounters
- Davis, M. "Who are the new gatekeepers? Literary mediation and post-digital publishing," in Publishing means business: Australian perspectives
- Dunlop, A. "Myths of Love: Ovid and Transformation," in Love: Art of Emotion 1400-1800. National Gallery of Victoria
- Driscoll, B. "Middlebrow and nobrow: Tracing patterns across culture," in When Highbrow Meets Lowbrow: Popular Culture and the Rise of Nobrow
- Fensham, R., Crombie, I. and Taylor, E. "Leap into the Modern: Dance in Australia during the 1930s," in Brave New World: Australia 1930s
- Fensham, R. "Searching Movement's History Digital Dance Archives,” in Transmission in Motion: The Technologizing of Dance
- Ford, T., Menely, T. and Taylor, J.O. "Punctuating History Circa 1800: The Air of Jane Eyre - Thomas H. Ford," in Anthropocene Reading: Literary History in Geologic Times
- Gelder, K. "R.L. Stevenson and Covenanter gothic," in Robert Louis Stevenson and the Great Affair: Movement, Memory and Modernity
- Horbury, A. "The Tragedy of True Detective Season Two: Living Our "Least Favorite Lives", " in True Detective and Philosophy: A Deeper Kind of Darkness
- Kelada, O. and Grieves, G. "Bleeding the Archive, Transforming the Mythscape," in Indigenous Archives The Making and Unmaking of Aboriginal Art
- Lowish, S., Dallwitz, J., Inyika, J. and Rive, L. "Our Art, Our Way: Towards an Anangu Art History with Ara Irititja," in Indigenous archives: the making and unmaking of Aboriginal art
- MacDowall, L. "#Instafame: Aesthetics, Audiences, Data," in Graffiti and Street Art: Reading, Writing and Representing the City
- MacDowall, L. and Young, A. "Visual Documentation in Hybrid Spaces: Ethics, Publics and Transition," in Refiguring Techniques in Digital Visual Research
- Macneill, K and Coles, A. "Policy ecologies, gender, work, and regulation distance in film and TV production," in Women, Labor Segmentation and Regulation: Varieties of Gender Gaps
- Marshall, C., Albi, S .and Lofano, F. "'per antipatia ch'have la filosofia di serrarsi ne' palazzo de' ricchi': Salvator Rosa and the Quest for Ennobled Prices," in I filosofi antichi nell'arte italiana del seicento: stile, iconografia, contesti.
- Marshall, C., De Luca, F., and Papi, G. "Prices, Payments and Career Strategies: Economic Considerations in the work of Ribera and his Contemporaries," in Davanti al naturale: Contributo sul movimento caravaggesco a Napoli
- McQuire, S. "Geomedia: In praise of unruly conjunctions," in Geomedia Studies: Spaces and Mobilities in Mediatized Worlds
- Morrow, G., Gilfillan, E., Barkat, I. and Sakinofsky, P. "Popular music entrepreneurship in higher education: Facilitating group creativity and spin-off formation through internship programmes,” in The Routledge Research Companion to Popular Music Education
- Nansen, B. et al. "Mobilising Children: The role of mobile communications in child mobility," in Children's Health and Wellbeing in Urban Environments
- Nansen, B. et al. "Postdigital Literacies: Materiality, Mobility and the Aesthetics of Recruitment," in Literacy, Media, Technology: Past, Present and Future
- Nansen, B. et al. "Researching Death Online," in Routledge Companion to Digital Ethnography
- Nolan, D. "'Race' and the lived experiences of Australians of Sudanese background," in Critical Reflections on Migration, 'Race' and Multiculturalism: Australia in a Global Context
- Nolan, S. "Born Outside the Newsroom: The Creation of the Age Online," in Web 25: Histories from the First 25 Years of the World Wide Web
- Nolan, S. "Reading The Discovery of India in the Library of an Australian Prime Minister," in The Global Histories of Books: Methods and Practices
- Papastergiadis, N. "Arcadia and Imagined Memories,” in Lisa Reihana: Emissaries
- Papastergiadis, N. “Motion Fearness,” in Triennial 1
- Papastergiadis, N. “Tintin Wulia Worlds,” in 1001 Martian Homes: Tintin Wulia
- Rae, P. "'Leeet lor': Singapore plays as drama," in Singapore Literature and Culture: Current Directions in Local and Global Contexts
- Shin, W., Pang, A. and Mak, A. "Integrated CSR communication: toward a model encompassing media agenda building with stakeholder dialogic engagement," in Communicating Corporate Social Responsibility in the Digital Era: The Role of Digital in Communicating and Managing Corporate Social Responsibility
- Trigg, S. "Affect Theory," in Early Modern Emotions: An Introduction
- Tuite, C., Grossi, R. and West, D. "Libertine reveries: Romantic love in the time of radical terror," in The Radicalism of Romantic Love Critical Perspectives
- Varney, D. "'Not Now, Not Ever': Julia Gillard and the Performative Power of Affect," in Performance Feminism and Affect in Neoliberal Times
- Varney, D. and Stevens, L. "Re-dressing patriarchal and colonial dispossession: Jelinek's "Jackie" on the Australian stage," in Elfriede Jelinek Goes Australia: Indigenising an Austrian Nobel Prize Winner
- Volkmer, I. "Beyond Positivism of Big Data Analysis: Toward Discursive Geographies and the 'Reflexive' Interdependence of Communicative Relations," in Advancing Comparative Media and Communication Research
- White, A., Anotonello, P., Nardelli, M., and Zanoletti, M. "Bruno Munari and Lucio Fontana: Parallel Lives," in Bruno Munari: The Lightness of Art
- White, A. and Varghese, L. "Michelangelo Pistoletto's Minus Objects," in Michelangelo Pistoletto: The Minus Objects 1965-1966
- Wright, A. "Odyssey of the Horizon," in My Horizon: Tracey Moffat
Major published works
- Kelada, O. Drawing Sybylla