Study spaces

The School provides common space expressly for the use of our graduate researchers, and allocates office space twice yearly.

Common spaces

The common space is available for any graduate researcher to use on a casual basis:

Room 661 is located on the sixth floor of the East Tower of John Medley (Building 191) and is an open common room, which offers several networked computers, tables and armchairs, a printer for which graduates need to provide their own paper, fridge, microwave and wireless networking.

You can request after hours access to the building. Email Annemarie Levin with your student ID.


The School retains a number of offices for allocation to graduate researchers. Most offices contain two or more workspaces, and desktop computers can usually be provided on request.

Graduates should be aware that there is often more demand for space than can be accommodated. If you are granted access to a study space, it is expected that you will make regular and consistent use of this space. If you are not using it regularly, you owe it to your fellow graduate researchers to give up that study space so it can be made available to another student. This will not render you less eligible if you wish to apply for space again at a later date.

There are two rounds of applications for allocated workspaces each year, opening in March and September. The call for applications is sent out via email to all currently enrolled graduate researchers in the School. Make sure to check your University email account.

Study space policy

University study spaces

Faculty of Arts

Old Arts (Building 149)

A variety of facilities are offered by the Graduate School including the RHD reading room, Arts Graduate Hall, a telephone conference room, reading group and seminar rooms and equipment for loan. For more information please visit the Faculty of Arts Students web page.

Graduate Centre

Graduate Centre (Builidng 198)

Study rooms are available for research students, for use on a time-share or room-share basis. Carrels are booked by the semester and preference is given to students in the writing-up stage of their research. Graduate Centre study rooms are allocated by the Graduate Student Association (GSA). For more information please see the GSA Lockers and Tenured Study Spaces (TSSs) web page.

Baillieu Library

Ballileu Library (Building 177)

The Baillieu library has study rooms for graduates on the ground and second floors which are suited to private, individual study. They can be booked for a period of up to 1-2 hours at a time. Ask at the service desk for further information.

For more information please visit the University Library website.