We’re a group of historians and retired academics and teachers committed to encouraging and developing historical research.
Who we are
Our members include retired academics (particularly University Fellows) and professional historians with links to the University of Melbourne, as well as retired teachers and younger historians not employed in academia.
We emphasis community inclusiveness and welcome participation by independent historians and other scholars, and we encourage research within and beyond the University of Melbourne.
Many of our members also participate in other historical associations and groups, including SHAPS Brown Bag seminars, Royal History Society of Victoria, community history associations, and libraries where members are active.
How we operate
Our group is an unincorporated non-profit voluntary association with two key organisation elements:
- Members, who can vote on decisions at monthly meetings, and participate and vote on decisions at the Annual General Meeting.
- Committee Convenors, who coordinate activities.
We encourage participation from anyone in the community interested in historical research. The only activities restricted to formal members are voting on organisational and financial matters.
We operate under the auspices of and in consultation with the School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, University of Melbourne.
Our events and initiatives
Our four major activities are:
- Monthly seminars
- Annual Research Day Conference
- Publish edited volumes of papers, including anthology 1919: The year things fell apart?
- Raising funds for two annual scholarship prizes: the Fellows and Associates Essay prize (currently $1,000), awarded to a graduate student, and the Prue Torney Memorial Prize (we provide $600 towards this prize, currently valued at $1700) to encourage young researchers focusing on south east Asia.
Upcoming events and activities are publicised on the SHAPS Friends of History Facebook page.
View open records of our meetings and financial affairs:
January 2020 Meeting minutes (206KB)
Have a question or interested in joining? Get in contact by emailing the relevant 2020 Convenors Committee member.
|Chair||Tony Ward||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Communications Coordinator||David Palmer||Email: email@example.com|
|Treasurer||Wendy Dick||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|General Convenor||Jean Ely||Email: email@example.com|