Commentaries by academics of the Comparative Network on Refugee Externalisation Policies
- Ferri, F., Giacomelli, E., Soderstrom, K. and Tubakovic, T. 2022. "Analysis of Refugee Externalisation: The Comparative Network of Refugee Externalisation Policies (CONREP) Blog Compendium".
- Loughnan, C. Cited in “Medevac Mayhem: Freedom for Some and Others Left Behind”, The Advocate, 22 February 2021.
- Loughnan, C. The Wire, Community and Indigenous Radio, interviewed by Elizabeth Neil, 26 February 2021.
- Loughnan, C. National ABC Interview, News Radio: “Calls for Covid Passports to Reduce Need for Quarantine and Increase Capacity for Travel” by Thomas Oriti, 26 February 2021.
- Loughnan, C. Interview, SBS Dateline, “The Number of Refugees Seeking Shelter in the Canary Islands Has Spiked by 600 percent”, 13 April 2021.
- Loughnan, C. Interview, SBS, Dateline, “While Tourists Ski, People Risk Their Lives Crossing the Alps to Seek Asylum”, 18 May 2021.
- Loughnan, C. and Dehm, S. “A COVID ‘Vaccine Passport’ Could Further Disadvantage Refugees and Asylum Seekers”, The Conversation, 25 February 2021.
- Loughnan, C. and Dehm S. ‘Scores of Refugees Have Been Released from Detention: Their Future However, Remains Tenuous’, The Conversation, 21 March 2021.
- Nethery, A. 2021 “Why Are Australians so Accepting of Hotel Quarantine?” The Conversation, 5 April.
- Noll, G. 2021 “Vicious circle: will ageing populations lock the EU into immigrant exclusion?” OpenDemocracy.
- O’Sullivan, M. 2021 “Book review: The Wealth of Refugees: How displaced people can build economies by Alexander Betts” Australian Book Review, 433, 24-25.
- O’Sullivan, M. Radio Interview on Asylum Seekers in Immigration Detention (Open letter), Ultra 106.5 Tasmania, 11 March 2021
- O’Sullivan, M. 2021 “The Dangers of Penalising Irregular Arrivals – Lessons from the Australian Model of Offshore Processing”, Refugee Law Initiative Blog, 14 May.
- O’Sullivan, M. Commentary on the Resettlement of the Biloela Tamil Family, Triple M news (National), 15 June 2021.
- O’Sullivan, M. "The Legalities of the Treatment of the Biloela Tamil Family", ABC News Radio, Drive Program, 15 June 2021
- O’Sullivan, M., Schultz, J. and Kaytaz, E. 2021 “The New Plan for Immigration and the risks of extending Temporary Protection Status”, Refugee Law Initiative Blog, 12 May.
- Ferdinand, A., Loughnan, C., and Murray, P. 2020, Refugees and Australia’s Double Standards on Covid-19 Arena, 16 June.
- Loughnan, C., Vogl, A., Fleay, A., Murray, P. and Dehm, S. 2020, Refugees need protection from coronavirus too, and must be released, The Conversation, 24 April.
- Musarò P., and Piga, B. E., Turismo e Migrazione - Scritture Migranti, Bologna, Mucchi, 2020, pp. 262
- Hirsch, A.L., Ghezelbash, D. and Jefferies, R. “We don’t know how many asylum seekers are turned away at Australian airports,” on The Conversation, 12 February 2019
- Loughnan, C. “Australia’s Harsh Immigration Policy,” on The Diplomat, 1 September 2019
- Loughnan, C. and Giannacopoulos, M. “When closure isn’t closure: carceral expansion on Manus Island,” on the CONREP blog, 17 July 2019
- Loughnan, C. “Active Neglect: The New Tool for the ‘Externalisation’ of Refugee Protection,” University of Oxford, Faculty of Law Border Criminologies Centre, 16 July 2019
- Loughnan, C. in “Australia set to repeal medical care bill for offshore refugees” by Kate Walton, Al Jazeera, 4 July 2019
- Loughnan, C. “Protection or Punishment for refugees: what are the election policies?” Election Watch in conjunction with Pursuit, 15 May 2019
- Loughnan, C. “2019 Budget: The Verdict Part 2,” on Pursuit, 3 April, 2019
- Loughnan, C. “No Friend but the Mountains by Behrouz Boochani,” International State Crime Initiative, Arts blog, 27 February, 2019
- Loughnan, C. Murray, P., Newman, L., Silverstein, J. and Tobin, J. “Academics call for an end to immigration detention,” on Pursuit, October 16 2018
- Ferri, F. "“La riforma del codice comunitario dei visti: uno strumento al servizio del processo di esternalizzazione delle frontiere?” Immigrazione.it, n.353 (2020)
- Ferri, F. "“L’assassino è il maggiordomo? Primi rilievi sulle conclusioni dell’Avvocato generale nel giudizio di infrazione contro Polonia, Ungheria e Repubblica Ceca in materia di ricollocazioni,” SIDIBlog, November 2019
- Casey, E., O’Sullivan., Paulding, S. and Zizek, A. “Deporting Long Term Residents: Recent International Case Studies and Lessons For Australia,” on Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 11 June 2018
- Dastyari, A. “Explainer: Why is Australia adopting the global refugee compact but not the migration compact?” on The Conversation, 11 December 2018
- Ferri, F. “Assessing Credibility of Asylum Seekers’ Statements on Sexual Orientation: Lights and Shadows of the F Judgement,” in European Papers - European Forum, 17 July 2018
- Ferri, F. “Cenni sul decreto legislativo di recepimento della direttiva UE in materia di tutela consolare dei cittadini europei non rappresentati nei Paesi terzi,” in Immigrazione.it, no.307, 2018
- Hirsch, A.L. “What Does ‘Regular and Orderly Migration’ Mean for Refugees? The Role of IOM and the Global Compact for Migration,” on Asylum Insight, 11 December 2018
- Hirsch, A.L. “Refugees in Indonesia don’t want to get on boats. They want basic rights,” on The Guardian, 30 August 2018
- O’Sullivan, M. “Fairness and Efficiency in the Migration ‘Fast Track’ Process,” on the AUSPUBLAW Blog, 14 May 2018
- O’Sullivan, M. “Nauru’s Renunciation of Appeals to the High Court - Lawfulness And Implications," on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 5 April 2018
- O’Sullivan, M. “Are White Farmers in South Africa Refugees? Giving Protection To Those In Need,” on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 19 March 2018
- O’Sullivan, M. “Questioning the Australian Model,” on Refugees Deeply, 9 January 2018
- Soderstrom, K. and Murray, P. “Germany’s (not so) grand coalition may cause ripple effects on European refugee policy,” on The Conversation, 17 April 2018
- Tubakovic, T. “The Limits to Regional Refugee Protection: the EU and ASEAN,” on the Refugee Research Blog, 25 June 2018
- Dastyari, A. “Refugee Women on Nauru,” on Themis Says blog, 16 October 2017
- Dastyari, A. “Processing centres in North Africa are not the answer for EU refugees,” on The Conversation, 15 September 2017
- Dastyari, A. “What is Happening in Manus and What Can We Do About It?,” on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law blog 31 August 2017
- Dastyari, A. “Trump’s Tweet Leaves Turnbull With No Option But to Bring the Refugees Here,” on The Sydney Morning Herald website, 3 February 2017
- Hirsch, A.L. “Five quotes from the Turnbull-Trump call show the folly of Australia’s refugee policy,” on The Conversation, 4 August 2017
- Hirsch, A.L. and Bell, N. “What Can Hannah Arendt Teach Us About Today’s Refugee Crisis?,” on the Border Criminologies Blog, 10 October 2017
- Hirsch, A.L. and Doig, C. “Why Indonesia Shows the IOM Isn’t Necessarily Helping Migrants,” on the Refugees Deeply website, 26 October 2017
- Li, M. and O’Sullivan, M. “President Trump’s Immigration ban: Unlawful Executive Orders and Bureaucratic Resistance,” on the Forced Migration Forum, 10 March 2017
- Loughnan, C. “How did it come to this?,” on Pursuit, 30 November 2017
- O’Sullivan, M. “Challenging the Fairness of Refugee Decisions In Nauru: The High Court of Australia hears appeals from the Supreme Court of Nauru,” on Asylum Insight, 13 September 2017
- O’Sullivan, M. “The High Court Decides – The Marriage Survey Will Proceed,” on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 7 September 2017
- O’Sullivan, M. “The Legality of Manus Island detention under Australian law – The High Court decides in Plaintiff S195,” on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 17 August 2017
- Roxburgh, N. and Tubakovic, T. “‘The Slow Hell’: The Lived Experience of the EU’s Flawed Asylum System – featuring an interview with Victor Roman, from Lesvos Legal Centre,” on Australian Institute of International Affairs, March 2017
- Tubakovic, T. "Merkel won’t be hurt by refugee issues,” on Election Watch, 24 August 2017
- Tubakovic, T. and Murray, P. “Has the EU really solved its refugee crisis?” on The Conversation, 7 July 2017
- Tubakovic, T. and Rogan, K. “A ‘Real’ Fortress Europe,” on Social Europe, 15 March 2017
- Dastyari, A. “Nauru Files: Why Does this Policy Continue and What Can We Do About it?” on the Castan Centre for Human Rights Law blog, 17 August 2016
- Dehm, S. and Murray, P. “Refugee policy hardline and heartless,” on NTEU Advocate, June 2016, pp. 40-41
- Ferri, F. “Italy asks for solidarity over Dublin III,” on Europe’s World, 22 June 2016
- Ferri, F. “Free movement of workers and old-age benefits: the Court of Justice of the European Union’s standpoint in Commission v. Cyprus (C-515/14),” on European Papers – European Forum, 16 April 2016
- Hirsch, A.L. “To stop boat deaths, abolish carrier sanctions and let asylum seekers travel by plane,” on Right Now, 8 December 2016
- Hirsch, A.L. “Closing the Country: Where to next for Australia’s asylum seekers?” on Policy Forum, 30 June 2016
- Hirsch, A.L. “Does What Happens Offshore, Stay Offshore?” on Asylum Insight, 17 March 2016
- Musarò, P. “A dangerous journey? On the limited effect of information campaigns to deter irregular migration,” on Open Migration, 31 August 2016
- Musarò, P. “Aware migrants… and citizens,” on Open Migration, 22 August 2016
- Musarò, P. “Military-humanitarian narratives of the Mediterranean ‘migration crisis’,” on Ethical Journalist Network, 12 April 2016
- Musarò, P. “The political ‘migration crisis’ and the military-humanitarian response,” on LSE Blogs, 28 March 2016
- O’Sullivan, M. “What’s next for asylum seekers under a re-elected Turnbull Government?” on The Conversation, 16 July 2016
- O’Sullivan, M. “Manoeuvring on Manus,” on Lowy Institute Interpreter, 16 May 2016
- O’Sullivan, M. “If not Manus, then what? Possible alternatives for asylum seekers and refugees in Papua New Guinea,” on The Conversation, 28 April 2016
- O’Sullivan, M. “The End of Offshore Detention? The Implications of The Papua New Guinea Supreme Court Decision,” on Castan Centre for Human Rights Law Blog, 27 April 2016
- Hirsch, A.L. “The Economic Cost of Australia’s Asylum Policies,” on Right Now, 21 August 2015
- Hirsch, A.L. “Did ‘ending’ detention on Nauru also end the constitutional challenge to offshore processing?” on The Conversation, 9 October 2015
- O’Sullivan, M. “Australia can detain asylum seekers on the high seas, the High Court decides,” on The Conversation, 28 January 2015
- Dastyari, A. “Handing over Tamils to the State they Fled Breaks International Law,” on The Conversation, 3 July 2014 2014
- Dastyari, A. “Deterring and Denying Asylum Seekers in Australia," on CNN, 20 June 2014
- Dastyari, A. “Asylum seekers: we can’t ignore our international law obligations,” on The Conversation, 30 April 2014
- Dastyari, A. “Why Refugees Need Legal Aid,” on New Matilda, 3 April 2014
- Dastyari, A. “Explainer: the legal implications of ‘tow-backs’,” on The Conversation, 20 January 2014
- Hirsch, A.L. “The Extra-territorialisation of Migration Control and the Right to Seek Asylum,” on Right Now, 5 December 2014
- O’Sullivan, M. “Explainer: Does Cambodia refugee deal comply with the Convention?” on The Conversation, 30 September 2014
- O’Sullivan, M. “Preventing asylum seekers’ return to harm through the High Court,” on The Conversation, 8 July 2014