List of journal articles by academics of the Comparative Network on Refugee Externalisation Policies
- Åberg, K. 2021 “Examining the Vulnerability Procedure: Group-Based Determinations at the Greek Border”, Refugee Survey Quarterly, 00, 1–27.
- Loughnan, C., Dehm, S. and Steele, L. 2021 “COVID-19 and Sites of Confinement: Public Health, Disposable Lives and Legal Accountability in Immigration Detention and Aged Care”, UNSW Law Journal, 44 (1): 59 – 102.
- Nethery, A. 2021 “Incarceration, classification and control: Administrative detention in settler colonial Australia”, Political Geography, Vol. 89, August 2021, 102457.
- Byrne, R.A. and Noll, G. 2020 ‘Understanding the crisis of refugee law: Legal scholarship and the EU asylum system’ Leiden Journal of International Law.
- Dastyari, A. and Ghezelbash, D. 2020, “Asylum at Sea: The Legality of Shipboard Refugee Status Determination Procedures,” in International Journal of Refugee Law, 32(1).
- Giacomelli, E., Musarò P. and Parmiggiani P. 2020 “The ‘invisible enemy’ and the usual suspects. How Covid-19 re-framed migration in Italian media representations”, Sociologia della Comunicazione, 60, pp. 119-137.
- Jeffries, R., Ghezelbash, D. and Hirsch, A. 2020, “Assessing Refugee Protection Claims at Australian Airports: The Gap between Law, Policy, and Practice,” in Melbourne University Law Review.
- Lavenex, S. 2020 “The UN Global Compacts on Migration and Refugees: A Case for Experimentalist Governance?” Global Governance: A Review of Multilateralism and International Organizations, vol. 26 no. 4, 673-696.
- Musarò P., Piga, B. E. 2020 “Ripensare la mobilità. Oltre la contrapposizione turismo/migrazione”, Scritture Migranti, 13, pp. 1 – 20.
- Vogl, Anthea; Fleay, Caroline; Loughnan, Claire; Murray, Philomena and Dehm, Sara, 2020, “COVID-19 and the relentless harms of Australia's punitive immigration detention regime,” in Crime, Media, Culture: an international journal. Sage Publications, Volume 17 Issue 1, pp. 43-51.
- Dastyari, A. and Hirsch, A.L. 2019, “The Ring of Steel: Extraterritorial Migration Controls in Indonesia and Libya and the Complicity of Australia and Italy,” in Human Rights Law Review
- Hirsch, A.L., Hoang, K. and Vogl, A. 2019, “Australia’s Private Refugee Sponsorship Program: Creating Complementary Pathways or Privatising Humanitarianism?,” in Refuge
- Loughnan, C. 2019, “Regional deterrence and ‘non-genuine’ refugees: The punitive legacy of the 1989 Comprehensive Plan of Action,” in Asian and Pacific Journal of Migration, 28(2), pp. 155-182
- Loughnan, C. 2019, Book review of “No Friend but the Mountains,” in State Crime Journal, 8(2), pp. 126-130
- Loughnan C. and Giannacopoulos, M. 2019, ““Closure” at Manus Island: Carceral Expansion in the Open Air Prison,” Globalizations.
- Murray, P. 2019, “From Friction to Free Trade Negotiations: Australia’s Engagement with the European Union,” in Australian Economic Review, 52(4), pp. 448-454
- Murray, P. 2019, “Managing Security: Reimagining ASEAN’s Regional Role,” in Asian Studies Review
- Musaro, P. and Moralli, M. 2019, “De-Bordering Narratives on Tourism and Migration. A Participatory Action-Research on Two Innovative Italian Practices,” in Italian Journal of Sociology of Education, 11(2), pp. 147-173
- Musaro, P., Moralli, M and Parmiggiani, P. 2019, “Borders Kill. Tania Bruguera’s Referendum as an Artistic Strategy of Political Participation,” in Journal of Mediterranean Knowledge-JMK, 4(2), pp. 137-160
- Musaro, P., Moralli M., Paltrinieri, R and Parmiggiani, P. 2019, “Atlas of Transitions. Arti performative e negoziazione della diversità,” in Mondi Migranti, 2/2019, pp. 101-125
- Musaro, P. 2019, “Aware Migrants: The role of information campaigns in the management of migration,” in European Journal of Communication, 34(6), pp. 629-640
- Nethery, A. 2019, “Australia’s refugee detention system: Offshore and unaccountable,” in Current History, 118 (809), pp. 222-228
- Nethery A. and Loughnan, C. 2019, “Regionalism and Refugee Protection.” Introduction to Special Section, in Asian and Pacific Journal of Migration, 28(2), p. 123-131
- Rae, M., Russell, E, and Nethery, A. 2019, “Earwitnessing detention: Carceral secrecy, affecting voices and political listening in The Messenger podcast,” in International Journal of Communication, 13, pp. 1036-1055
- Tubakovic, T. 2019, “The Failure of Regional Refugee Protection and Responsibility Sharing: Policy Neglect in the EU and ASEAN,” in Asian and Pacific Migration Journal
- Borraccetti, M. and Carlett, C. 2018, “Il Global Compact sulla migrazione tra scenari internazionali e realtà europea,” in Freedom, Security and Justice, vol.2, pp. 7-46
- Dastyari, A. 2018, “‘Let Them Stay’: Strengths and Weaknesses of Church Sanctuary as a Strategy for Immigration and Refugee Law Reform,” in Monash Law Review, 44(2), pp. 341-359
- Ferri, F. 2018, “Il regolamento “Dublino III” tra crisi migratoria e deficit di solidarietà: note (dolenti) sulle sentenze Jafari e A.S,” in Studi sull’integrazione europea, vol. 2, pp. 519-532
- Ferri, F. 2018, ““Codice di condotta delle ONG” e diritti dei migranti: tra diritto internazionale applicabile e carenze dell’attuale approccio UE in tema di migrazioni,” in Diritti umani e diritto internazionale, no.1, pp. 189-198
- Hirsch, A.L. and Doig, C. 2018, “Outsourcing Control: The International Organization for Migration in Indonesia,” in International Journal of Human Rights, vol. 22, no.5, pp. 681-708
- Jurje, F. and Lavenex, S. 2018, “Mobility Norms in Free Trade Agreements: Migration Governance in Asia Between Regional Integration and Free Trade,” in European Journal of East Asian Studies, vol.17, no.1, pp. 83-117
- Lavenex, S. 2018, “Regional Migration Governance. Building Bloc of Global Initiatives?,” in Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, Published online 6 April 2017
- Lavenex, S. 2018, “‘Failing forward’ towards which Europe? Organized Hypocrisy in the Common European Asylum System,” in Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1195-1212
- McDonald, E. and O’Sullivan, M. 2018, “Protecting Vulnerable Refugees: Procedural Fairness in the Australian Fast Track Regime,” in UNSW Law Journal, vol. 44, no. 2
- Murray, P. and Longo, M. 2018, "Europe’s wicked legitimacy crisis: The case of refugees, Journal of European Integration,” in Journal of European Integration, vol.40, No. 4, pp. 411-425
- Musarò, P. and Parmiggiani, P. 2018, “Taxi o ambulanze del mare? Politiche dell’immagine nella crisi dei migranti nel Mediterraneo,” in Colombo, F. and Murru, M. F. (eds.,), Iconismo e potere. Politiche dell’immagine nell’era digitale, Problemi dell’Informazione – 1, pp. 87-113
- Rae, M., Holman, R. and Nethery, A. 2018, “Self-represented witnessing: the use of social media by asylum seekers in Australia’s offshore immigration detention centres,” in Media, Culture and Society, vol.40, no.4, pp. 479-495
- Borraccetti, M. 2017, “La politica europea della migrazione nel periodo 2017-2019: sviluppi e perplessità,” in Diritto, Immigrazione e Cittadinanza, vol.3, pp. 1-18
- Chouliaraki, L. and Musarò, P. 2017, “The mediatized border. Technologies and affects of migrant reception in the Greek and Italian borders,” in Feminist Media Studies, vol.17, no.4, pp. 26-52
- Hirsch, A.L. 2017, “The Borders Beyond the Border: Australia’s Extraterritorial Migration Controls,” in Refugee Survey Quarterly, vol.36, no. 3, pp. 48-80
- Hirsch, A.L. and Bell, N. 2017, “The Right to Have Rights as a Right to Enter: Addressing a Lacuna in the International Refugee Protection Regime,” in Human Rights Review, vol. 18, no.4, pp. 417-437
- Lavenex, S. and Jurje, F. 2017, "EU/US Migration Policy Towards Emerging Countries: Regulatory Power Reversed?,” in European Foreign Affairs Review, vol.22, no.2/1, pp.157-176
- Musarò, P. 2017, “Tensions and paradoxes of humanitarianism. Dialogue with Lilie Chouliaraki,” in International Review of Sociology 27 (2), pp. 280-286
- Musarò, P. 2017, “Mare Nostrum: the visual politics of a military-humanitarian operation in the Mediterranean Sea,” in Media, Culture & Society, Vol.39(1), pp.11-28
- Musarò, P., Liberati, E. and Parmiggiani, P. 2017, “Il rimpatrio volontario assistito nel vissuto dei richiedenti asilo e degli operatori dell’accoglienza,” in Africa e Mediterraneo, 86, pp. 7-13
- Musarò, P. and Parmiggiani, P. 2017, “Beyond Black and White: The Role of Media in Portraying and Policing Migration and Asylum in Italy,” in Revue Internationale de Sociologie 27(2), pp. 241-260
- Okhovat, S., Hirsch, A.L., Hoang, K. and Dowd, R, 2017, “Rethinking Resettlement and Family Reunion in Australia,” in Alternative Law Journal, vol.42, no.4, pp. 273-278
- Borraccetti, M. 2016, “L’Italia e i rimpatri: breve ricognizione degli accordi di riammissione,” in Diritto, Immigrazione e Cittadinanza, vol.XVIII, pp. 33-58
- Borraccetti, M. 2016, “Schengen o dell’Unione europea: rafforzamento o dissolvimento?,” in Quaderni Constituzionali, vol.1, pp. 127-130
- Dastyari, A. and O’Sullivan, M. 2016, “Not for Export: The Failure of Australia’s Extraterritorial Processing Regime in Papua New Guinea and the Decision of the PNG Supreme Court in Namah,” in Monash Law Review, vol.42, no.2, pp. 308-328
- Ferri, F. 2016, “Convergenza delle politiche migratorie e di cooperazione allo sviluppo dell’Unione europea e accordi con Stati,” in Diritto, Immigrazione e Cittadinanza, vol.3-4, pp. 39-69
- Musarò, P. 2016, “Humanitarian Tarzanism: the tension between inequality and solidarity,” in Cartografie Sociali, Rivista di Sociologia e Scienze Umane, 2, pp. 63-80
- Nethery, A. and Holman, R. 2016, “Secrecy and human rights abuse in Australia’s offshore immigration detention centres,” in International Journal of Human Rights, vol. 20, no.7, pp. 1018-1038
- O’Sullivan, M. 2016, “The Sanctity of Asylum: The legality of church sanctuary in Australia,” in Alternative Law Journal, vol. 41, no.4, pp. 254-58
- O’Sullivan, M. 2016, “The Ethics of Resettlement: Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region,” in International Journal of Human Rights, vol.20, no.2, pp. 241-263
- O’Sullivan, M. 2016, “2015-16 Symposium Transcript: The Global Refugee Crisis,” in Connecticut Journal of International Law, vol.31, pp. 323-27
- O’Sullivan, M. 2016, “Implications of the PNG Supreme Court decision on offshore detention,” in Alternative Law Journal, vol. 41, no.2, pp. 135
- Borraccetti, M. 2015, “‘To quota’ or ‘not to quota’? The EU facing effective solidarity in its Asylum Policy,” in Eurojus, vol.1, pp. 1-7
- Dastyari, A. 2015, “Detention of Australia’s Asylum Seekers in Nauru: Is Deprivation of Liberty by Any Other Name Just as Unlawful?,” in UNSW Law Journal, vol.38, no.2
- Emerton, P. and O’Sullivan, M. 2015, “Rethinking Asylum-Seeker Detention At Sea: The Power to Detain Asylum-Seekers at Sea under the Maritime Powers Act 2013,” in UNSW Law Journal, vol.38, no.2, pp. 695-737
- Musarò, P. 2015, “Cosmopolitan solidarity vs. national belonging: How many more deaths can we tolerate?,” in Africa e Mediterraneo, 82, pp. 8-17
- Musarò, P. 2015, “The Banality of Goodness: Humanitarianism Between the Ethics of Showing and the Ethics of Seeing,” in Humanity: An International Journal of Human Rights, Humanitarianism, and Development, Vol.6(2), pp. 317-335
- Borraccetti, M. 2014, “La prima assistenza ai migranti in arrivo tra diritti fondamentali e zone franche,” in Diritto, Immigrazione e Cittadinanza, vol.2, pp. 13-33
- Nethery, A. and Gordyn, C. 2014, “Australian-Indonesian cooperation on asylum policy: a case of ‘incentivised’ policy transfer,” in Australian Journal of International Affairs, vol.68, no.2, pp. 177-193 (Awarded the Boyer Prize 2014)
- O’Sullivan, M. 2014, “Minister for Immigration and Border Protection v SZSCA: Should Asylum Seekers Modify their Conduct to Avoid Persecution?,” in Sydney Law Review, vol.36, no.3, pp. 441-456