What is it?
The French Peer Mentoring Program (C'est la vie universitaire!) is a free mentoring program for first year students of French at the university. It pairs beginner students with a voluntary mentor and is designed to assist first year students in adapting to university life and with their study of the French language.
Who can get involved?
Any students studying first year beginner French (French 1) are welcome to become involved as a mentee. Mentees are encouraged to bring to their weekly meetings with their mentors any language questions they have relating to French studies or other aspects of university life. They are required to complete a questionnaire at the end of the program to provide feedback on their experience.
Any advanced level (undergraduate French 5, 6, 7, honours, masters or doctorate) student, native speaker or exchange student wanting to engage with first year students and help them adapt to university life and provide academic support in French is encouraged to apply to be a mentor. Mentors must be prepared to provide between 1-2 hours weekly of individual support to up to two mentees (10 weeks, 15 hours) and keep a reflective learning journal of the learning and academic outcomes of their voluntary experience.
- Free individual learning support with a trained mentor in all areas of French language study: grammar, vocabulary, reading, pronunciation, conversation and writing skills
- Enhanced insight into French culture and Francophone societies
- An enjoyable, fun and supportive environment to make new friends and ease into university life
- Recognised training provided by the faculty (3 hours in total)
- Mentees will receive a certificate signed by a senior University of Melbourne authority with the possibility for students enrolled in French 7 or Honours Language who participate as mentors to have the reflection task built in as part of their assessment
- Gain valuable, rewarding and confidence-building volunteer experience while sharing your skills and knowledge in French
Mentees will be recruited in weeks 1 - 4 of first semester 2018. Mentoring starts in week 4. Training dates are yet to be established.
Enquiries about C'est la vie universitaire! including applications and eligibility can be addressed by email Charlotte Mackay (project coordinator).
Please note: Places are limited and subject to applicant numbers.