Tuition fees

Faculty specific information for domestic students on Commonwealth Supported Places and fee assistance options. Links for international students to relevant University fee pages.

Domestic students

The Faculty of Arts provides Australian fee-paying places in Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate (Advanced), Graduate Diploma (Advanced) and Masters by Coursework programs, offered by the Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GSHSS). The majority of our Graduate coursework students are enrolled in Australian fee-paying places.

A small number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) are also allocated each intake to high achieving applicants and/or on equity grounds through the Graduate Access Melbourne scheme in Masters by Coursework programs.

To be considered for a CSP on the basis of equity, the Graduate Access Melbourne (GAM) section of the application for a Masters by Coursework program must be completed and the application submitted by the relevant closing dates.

All CSP Masters by Coursework applicants are considered for a CSP on the basis of academic merit, however this is a highly competitive process. As a guide, applicants normally require a solid first class average across their previous studies to achieve a CSP on the basis of academic merit.

Unsuccessful CSP applicants who satisfy course entry requirements are normally offered an Australian fee-paying place in the course.

CSP and GAM closing dates

The CSP and Graduate Access Melbourne application closing date for:

  • Start-year / February / Semester 1 Intake is 31 October of the preceding year
  • Mid-year / July / Semester 2 Intake is usually 31 May of the corresponding year

Please note: Only applications submitted with full supporting documentation by the closing date are eligible for CSP and/or GAM consideration.

Fee assistance options

Graduate study offers you an opportunity to enhance your professional qualifications and increase your earning potential. You should consider your tuition fees as an investment in your future. There are a number of ways you can alleviate the pressure of course fees.


If you are a domestic Australian Fee-paying place student, you may be eligible for a FEE-HELP loan from the Australian Government to help manage payment of your tuition fees. If you are eligible, you can defer all or part of your tuition fees via a government loan, which you repay when your income reaches the minimum repayment threshold. You can also nominate to make voluntary repayments of your FEE-HELP loan at any time. FEE-HELP is nominated during the online enrolment process for your course.

Further information is available from the Australian Government's Study Assist FEE-HELP web page.

Please note: Australian citizens and humanitarian visa holders are normally eligible to apply for FEE-HELP loans. New Zealand citizens or permanent residents are not eligible to receive a FEE-HELP loan, so must pay their tuition fees up-front by the fee due date or the subject census date, whichever is the earliest.

All eligible Australian fee students who wish to request a FEE-HELP loan must make the application either prior to the fee due date, or the subject census date, whichever is the earliest. FEE-HELP requests are generally made after accepting your offer, during the online enrolment process. Students who pay their fees by the due date may still apply for FEE-HELP through their student portal prior to the relevant subject census date, and will be eligible to apply for a refund. After the census date, the Commonwealth Government will not accept your FEE-HELP application and fees must be paid in full by the due date.

Claim a tax deduction

You may be eligible to claim a tax deduction, if the course has a sufficient connection to your current employment. Consult your accountant or the Australian Taxation Office.

Austudy / Youth allowance

Austudy/Youth allowance support is currently approved by Centrelink for Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate, Graduate Certificate (Advanced) and Graduate Diploma (Advanced) courses and only some coursework Masters program in the Faculty of Arts.

  • For more information about Austudy/Youth allowance support and approved courses please visit the Student Services Financial Aid website.
  • For more information about domestic tuition fees please see the Study Fees web page

International students

  • For more information about international tuition fees please see the Study Fees web page