Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) are weekly group study sessions led by a high achieving student (PASS Leader) who has successfully completed the subject in a previous year.
Note that all PASS sessions are now delivered online. During scheduled PASS times, Leaders will be holding online video or text chats so you can still meet and talk and collaborate. Sessions start in Week 3 of semester. Online communities are more important than ever right now and we're glad that PASS can still provide that for everyone. Stay safe.
What is PASS?
Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) are free group study sessions led by a student (PASS Leader) who has successfully completed the subject in a previous year. Sessions are 1 hour and are scheduled weekly from Week 3 – 12.
PASS is designed for students who want to maximise engagement and enjoyment of their subjects. Sessions are friendly and informal – a chance to discuss your subject in more depth and improve your study skills.
PASS is welcoming of all identities, cultures and circumstances and aims to empower those who are finding their voice and seeking a sense of community.
During a PASS session students:
- Share study techniques
- Expand on discussions from tutorials
- Review subject readings and lecture notes
- Discuss key course concepts
- Prepare for assessment
- Make friends
How do I attend?
PASS sessions will be running online in a range of Arts subjects in Semester 2 2021, starting in Week 3. Join a group below to meet the PASS Leaders and keep up to date with session times. Note: If you don't use social media, please feel free to register here and you'll be contacted by email.
|Kashmira||Anthropology: Studying Self and Other||Join|
|Cody||Applied Research Methods||Join|
|Rachel (Yongwen)||German 2||Join|
|Juliette||Inequalities: Challenges for the Future||Join|
|Cody||International Relations: Key Questions||Join|
|Rebekah||Introduction to Political Ideas||Join|
|Ilana||Law in Society||Join|
|Deeksha||Modern and Contemporary Literature||Join|
|Jade||Myth, Art and Empire: Greece and Rome||Join|
|Kathryn||Order, Disorder, Crime, Deviance||Join|
|An||Second Language Learning & Teaching||Join|
|Ruby||Secret life of Language||Join|
|Drew||Sex, Gender and Culture: An Introduction||Join|
Attending PASS has been proven to improve students’ academic performances. This can happen whether you’re struggling with the subject or aiming for the best mark in the class.
PASS students have also said they find sessions to be more effective than studying alone, ie. 1 hour of PASS = 3 hours of studying alone.
PASS can help with:
- Study strategies
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- Reducing anxiety
- Problem solving
- Meeting new people
Attendees have said:
- “I feel so much more confident. My PASS subject is my highest grade average even though I felt least comfortable about the subject matter. I enjoy the theories a lot more and feel more confident adding my opinion to tutes.”
- “It has helped me gain confidence in understanding the subject. Because of this, I persevered with the subject. I believe that PASS crucial in helping me receive a H1 in my first assignment.”
- “PASS has helped me with confidence, not only academically but in my ability to control my learning and take advantage of available opportunities.”
- “I think the most [important] idea is it is building a knowledge community of people with different perspectives and experiences that we can share in an informal way. This is really important for me as it reminds us of what we can learn and share with each other.”
Keep in touch
- Please email email@example.com with any enquiries.
Acknowledgement of Country
The PASS community acknowledges the Traditional Owners the land where we work and study, the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation. We pay our respect to Elders, past, present and emerging, and acknowledge that sovereignty was never ceded.