Outbound Study Abroad and Exchange

Information for Bachelor of Arts students applying to study at an overseas institution through the University's Exchange program.

The University of Melbourne Exchange program offers students a unique opportunity to study and live overseas whilst completing a degree. You can study for a single semester or full year at any one of approx.185 Exchange partners in over 35 countries around the world. Exchange students remain enrolled at The University of Melbourne and continue to pay their tuition fees to The University of Melbourne and do not pay any tuition fees to their host university.

Students can also study at an overseas institution that does not have an Exchange agreement with the University of Melbourne. This is a separate program to Exchange, called Study Abroad. For more information please visit the Melbourne Global Mobility Study Abroad and other programs web page.


Students must:

  • Be enrolled at The University of Melbourne as a domestic or international student
  • Have completed, or about to complete, at least one year of study and 75 points at The University of Melbourne by the due date of applications
  • Have achieved a weighted average of at least 65% (H3) across the degree for which you are seeking credit while on Exchange
  • Have a 65% average in any language which you may wish to study
  • Be able to study the equivalent of at least a full-time load while overseas
  • Obtain Faculty approval on a Melbourne Abroad application
  • Demonstrate through a financial plan your ability to support your stay overseas
  • Satisfy host institution and host country entry requirements
  • Be a 'good ambassador' for The University of Melbourne

Enrolment and fees

When overseas, students remain enrolled full-time at The University of Melbourne and continue to pay their course fees (HECS or full fees) here. Students are also enrolled full-time at the overseas institution but are not required to pay course fees to them.


Generous travel scholarships are available for Exchange students. For more information please visit the Melbourne Global Mobility Outbound students Funding and scholarships web page.

Honours students

Students undertaking an honours year are normally only allowed to go on Exchange for one semester and 37.5 points of coursework study. It is a Faculty requirement that all work completed overseas as part of your Honours program must be submitted to the relevant department at the University of Melbourne upon your return.


While on Exchange you have a number of responsibilities:

  • Check your University email account regularly
  • Check your study plan on the Student Portal to ensure your enrolment is correct for the period you are on Exchange and for your returning semester

Information about re-enrolling while overseas can be found on the Melbourne Global Mobility Outbound students Re-enrolling while overseas web page.

Approval for subjects

Please ensure you have appropriate approval for the subjects you are taking on Exchange.

If you need to change your study plan and undertake subjects that have not been pre-approved, you must seek approval for these subjects via correspondence with the relevant departmental advisors. They are listed on the Melbourne Global Mobility Faculty of Arts Faculty advisors web page.

It is essential that you then email your subject changes to the Contact us details provided at the bottom of this web page with evidence of program approval. Your final study plan must be approved in the first few weeks of your Exchange enrolment.

Credit for subjects taken on Exchange

On your return, credit is awarded on a credit-for-credit basis not on a subject-for-subject basis. It is your responsibility to ensure that your credit load while on Exchange reflects the amount of University of Melbourne points you wish to receive. Please consult the Credit Load tab in the brochure page for the partner institutions of your choice on the Melbourne Global Mobility website.


For Faculty of Arts related exchange and study abroad course advice
Stop 1
757 Swanston Street (Building 199)
The University of Melbourne
Victoria, Australia 3010
+61 13MELB (13 6352)
To lodge a written query go to the ask.unimelb Contact us web page and follow these steps:
1. Under "Current students" select "Submit an enquiry"
2. Label your enquiry clearly and include your student ID under "Enquiry title"; and
3. Under "Topic" select "Course planning" and then click the box again to select "Exchange outgoing"