The Faculty of Arts offers sessional academic appointments throughout the year. Information on how to apply through the Casual Recruitment Registration System can be found in this section.
We are currently not accepting applications
Important dates for 2022
|Study period and role type||Applications open||Applications close||Outcome notification||Teaching starts|
|Summer Sessional Academic Tutors 2022||22/11/2021||05/12/2021||14/012/2021||03/01/2022|
|Sessional Academic tutors Semester 1 2022||15/12/2021||23/01/2022||04/02/2022||28/02/2022|
Please note: To apply for available positions follow the ‘Apply Now’ link and create a user account in the Casual Tutor Recruitment System (CTRS). Through the CTRS you will be able to upload your credentials and select the subjects for which you would like to be considered.
Subjects will be added on a rolling basis so please continue to check the CTRS to see what is open.
Your application must be lodged through the CTRS to be considered. For more information please see CTRS user guides below.
Working With Children Check
All casual staff engaged on an academic teaching or teaching support contract are required to hold a valid employee Working with Children Check. Further information is available on the Working with Children website or by contacting the University’s HR Assist team.
- It is expected that the majority of applicants will receive an outcome within the timeframe listed in the ‘Outcome notification’ section of the table above. In some cases, because these positions are dependent on student enrolments, applicants may not receive a final notification until the teaching start date for the teaching period. Applicants who are enrolled as PhD or Masters students must have been confirmed in their candidature and not be past 3.5 years (PhD) and 1.5 years (MA) full-time equivalency. Currently enrolled Research Higher Degrees (RHD) students at the University of Melbourne applying to become a tutor must have the support of their supervisor
- In most cases, it is essential to have a minimum of an honours degree in a relevant discipline (Please note: that if you are applying for a casual academic staff role in the Asia Institute or the School of Languages and Linguistics this criterion may not apply. Please contact the Program Convenor for clarification)
- Late applications will not be accepted unless an exceptional circumstance arises based on a school’s requirements. All casual academic staff selected need to have applied formally
Download position descriptions
CTRS user guides
Casual Academic Staff are provided with resources and facilities to assist with undertaking their teaching responsibilities. These provisions vary across each School. The following information is provided to assist Casual Academic staff with the onboarding process, and to familiarise them with the facilities and resources available to them as an employee of a particular School within the Faculty of Arts.
- Accounts and passwords: activate up your email using the Identity management system
- IT information
- Themis timecards
- Casual pay dates
- After Hours Building Access: Please note that after-hours building access is not generally provided to casual academic staff. All after-hours access requests must be endorsed by the School and is only provided if absolutely necessary
- Occupational Health and Safety Induction: Online TrainME training
- Desk Space: All Schools provide Casual Academics with designated hot-desk office space. Please contact the relevant School for further details
- Lockers: Some Schools provide lockers in designated hot-desk office space. Please contact the relevant School for further details
- Stationery: Please contact the relevant School for further details
- Lectern keys: Lectern keys for teaching spaces are not normally required, but will be available upon request. Please contact the relevant School for assistance
- Meeting /Consultation rooms: Please contact the relevant School for assistance
- Staff cards: Obtain or update a staff ID card
- If you have a general question regarding the application process, please email Arts Human Resources
- If you require help or technical support with using the CTRS, please email Arts CTRS
- If your enquiry is specific to the school and subjects you’re applying for, please refer to the table below:
School Name Position Contact Asia Institute (AI) Robyn Borg Team Leader, Academic Programs, AI firstname.lastname@example.org School of Historical and Philosophical Studies (SHAPS) Lou Benson Team Leader, Academic Programs, SHAPS email@example.com School of Languages and Linguistics (SoLL) Wendy Yap Team Leader, Academic Programs, SoLL firstname.lastname@example.org School of Culture and Communication (SCC) Anthony Gallivan Team Leader, Academic Programs, SCC email@example.com School of Social and Political Sciences (SSPS) Jo Helsby Team Leader, Academic Programs, SSPS firstname.lastname@example.org Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences (GSHSS) Allison Dutka Manager, Graduate Programs. Academic Support Office email@example.com or EMAfirstname.lastname@example.org Arts Foundation Workshops Peter Mason Arts Foundation Workshop coordinator email@example.com
Other useful contact information
- Staff Hub
- Faculty of Arts staff intranet
- Email Asia Institute
- Email School of Culture and Communication
- Email School of Historical and Philosophical Studies
- Email School of Languages and Linguistics
- Email School of Social and Political Sciences
- IT and Printer Support: +61 3 8344 0888
- Themis Support: +61 3 8344 0888
- Security: +61 3 8344 6666