Creative Writing at The University of Melbourne offers students an exciting environment in which to develop essential skills in creative writing. Our academic staff are widely published writers and leading researchers.
Creative Writing at the University of Melbourne offers students an exciting environment in which to develop essential skills in creative writing. Our academic staff are widely published writers and leading researchers in the following areas:
- Fiction, non-fiction and poetry
- Creative nonfiction, poetics and autobiography
- Contemporary Australian writing
- Writing for theatre and the screen
- Emerging forms of writing: graphic narratives, writing for live art and performance
- Politics of writing and speech: place, identity, gender, race, aesthetics and performance
- The theory and teaching of creative writing, creativity and composition
Undergraduate students develop their writing through workshops, readings, seminars in prose fiction, poetry, scriptwriting, creative non-fiction and life writing. In addition, students are challenged to extend their creative work to avant-garde, cross-genre and experimental forms of writing and to critically test the influence of contemporary theoretical and philosophical schools of thought on modes of writing.
Our staff teach and supervise students at honours, masters by coursework, masters by research and PhD levels, in which students participate in writing, publication, thesis and seminar programs designed to foster creative and critical debate.
All of the Creative Writing staff are published writers in poetry, fiction, playwriting, graphic novels and creative non-fiction, as well as critical scholarly work. Dr Grant Caldwell, Senior Lecturer in Creative Writing
Meet Melbourne regional and rural information evenings
- Master of Creative Writing, Publishing and Editing
- Graduate Diploma in Arts (Advanced)
- Graduate Certificate in Arts (Advanced)
- Graduate Diploma in Arts
- Graduate Certificate in Arts