The Peter Blazey Fellowship
This prize is proudly supported by The Australian Centre.
The Peter Blazey Fellowship was established to honour the memory of Peter Blazey - journalist, author and gay activist - and has been made available through the generosity of Clive Blazey and Tim Herbert, brother and partner of Peter Blazey.
Blazey was born in Melbourne in 1939 and worked for the Australian, the National Times and as a regular columnist for OutRage magazine. He published a number of books, including a political biography of Henry Bolte, and was co-editor of the short fiction anthology, Love Cries. His personal memoir, ScrewLoose, appeared after his death from AIDS in 1997.
"Peter was someone with a lion's head of loose ends that could never fit into some ideologically sound and tidy space. Storyteller, mythomane, and one of the last great conversationalists in a country wary of the free flow of uncensored language, he was a comet who flashed his tail at everyone."
- Tim Herbert, OutRage, 1997
The Peter Blazey Fellowship was launched by the Hon. Justice Michael Kirby in May 2004.
The Fellowship is awarded annually to writers in the non-fiction fields of biography, autobiography and life writing and is intended to further a work in progress. Applications will be judged on literary merit, and the winner will be supported in their work by a prize of approximately $15,000, and a one-month writer-in-residency at The Australia Centre.
- The Fellowship is to be offered nationally and awarded annually. Applicants must either be an Australian citizen or have Australian residency
- The purpose of the Fellowship is to further a work in progress in the non-fiction fields of autobiography, biography or life writing. The prize must not be used to provide a publishing subsidy
- The manuscript will not be part of a submission for a higher degree, and the applicant may not be currently enrolled in a higher degree
- The submission will take the form of a curriculum vitae (no more than two pages), a synopsis (no more than one page) and an extract of approximately 5,000 words of unpublished material
- Selection will be made on the basis of literary merit
- The applicant will have a publishing record, and must include details of this in the application
- The total remuneration will be the approximate amount advertised. The recipient will also be awarded a one-month residency at the Australian Centre. The residency includes access to office space and facilities, but does not include accommodation
- Please note that application material will not be returned
The recipient is required to:
- Accept award online within 14 days
- Write a letter of appreciation to the donor/committee (upon acceptance)
- Attend the award announcement at the Australian Centre, Faculty of Arts Literary Awards at Melbourne Writers Festival (25 August - 3 September)
- The statement 'This manuscript won the University of Melbourne’s 2017 Peter Blazey Fellowship' must be included on the imprints page when published
- Three copies of the final work must be provided to the Peter Blazey Committee when published
- Unsuccessful entrants will be notified after the awards event
- The decision of the Judging Committee is final
The award winner will be announced at the Australian Centre, Faculty of Arts Literary Awards at Melbourne Writers Festival (25 August - 3 September)
You must submit your application online and upload the following documents to support your application:
- Synopsis (no more than one page) of the project and proposed work to be undertaken during the Fellowship
- An extract of approximately 5,000 words of unpublished material. (Text should be spaced at one and a half lines)
- Brief curriculum vitae (no more than two pages) - including a list of publications
- Copy of proof of Australian citizenship or residency (Passport, Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate) - does not need to be original
Please note: We cannot accept applications longer than stipulated, or any additional accompanying material.
Entries must be received by midnight on the closing date.
Application material will not be returned.