The Faculty is led by the Dean and supported by the Faculty Executive Director, and the Faculty Executive.
Dean: Professor Russell Goulbourne
Faculty Executive Director: Tony McKimmie
Welcome from the Dean
“Welcome to the University of Melbourne’s Faculty of Arts.
We are Australia’s pre-eminent Arts Faculty, at the heart of the country’s second oldest and highest rated University. Our flagship Bachelor of Arts degree has been offered for over 160 years. It is the number one choice in Arts for generations of Humanities and Social Sciences students.
The Humanities and Social Sciences are needed now more than ever. Technology has transformed the world – and in this context strong critical thinkers are essential, along with good communicators, those able to navigate social and cultural difference, and those who understand what it means to be human.
Today, our graduates’ analytical and creative skills, as well as their values and empathy, are their competitive advantage. The Humanities and Social Sciences are key to Australia’s future success."
Whatever path you choose I know that you will have an exciting and rewarding experience at Melbourne. I warmly welcome you to the Arts community. Professor Russell Goulbourne, Dean – Faculty of Arts
The Faculty Board and the Arts Faculty Executive Committee chaired by the Dean are the two key governance fora for the Faculty of Arts, with the Humanities Foundation Board established in 2013 to oversee the Faculty's fundraising efforts in support of the humanities disciplines.
Arts Faculty Executive Committee (AFEC) membership
- Chair, Professor Russell Goulbourne, Dean
- Professor Sarah Maddison (Deputy Dean)
- Professor Vedi Hadiz, Director, Asia Institute
- Professor Peter Otto, Acting Head, School of Culture and Communication
- Professor Margaret Cameron, Head, School of Historical and Philosophical Studies
- Professor Lesley Stirling, Head, School of Languages and Linguistics
- Professor Karen Farquharson, Head, School of Social and Political Sciences
- Assoc. Professor Kate MacNeill, Associate Dean (Education and Students)
- Assoc. Professor Tim Lynch, Associate Dean (International)
- Assoc. Professor Dan Woodman, Acting Associate Dean (Partnerships)
- Assoc. Professor Sana Nakata, Associate Dean (Indigenous)
- Assoc. Professor Andrea Rizzi, Associate Dean (Research)
- Tony McKimmie, Faculty Executive Director
Arts Faculty Board
The Faculty Board considers key matters of Faculty business for the purpose of wider collegial consultation, including consideration of the minutes of the Faculty Standing Committees. The Board comprises nominees from the Faculty Schools, representatives of other Faculties and University bodies, and student representatives.
Faculty standing committees
- Research Committee
- Education and Students Committee
- Graduate Studies Committee
- Research Training Committee
- Bachelor of Arts Course Standing Committee
- Indigenous Advisory Committee
- Partnerships Committee
- International Committee
- Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- OHS&E Committee
- Early Career Academic Network