The Faculty is led by the Dean and supported by the Faculty Executive Director, and the Faculty Executive.
Dean: Professor Denise Varney
Faculty Executive Director: Ms Joanne Ligouris
Welcome from the Dean
"We are a diverse Faculty with a commitment to innovation and community engagement, offering programs as wide-ranging as Indigenous Studies, Classics and Asian languages. We provide employment-relevant specialisations in such fields as public policy, journalism, linguistics, cultural conservation and development studies."
Whatever path you choose I know that you will have an exciting and rewarding experience at Melbourne. I warmly welcome you to the Arts community. Professor Denise Varney, Dean - Faculty of Arts
Denise Varney is the Dean of the Faculty of Arts at The University of Melbourne. She was Deputy Dean from 2016-2017, and has been co-director of the Australian Centre. Her research areas include modern Australian theatre, modern and contemporary drama and feminist criticism and performance. Denise has served as co-convenor of the Feminist Research Working Group of the International Federation for Theatre Research (2010-2015), Senior Reviews Editor for Theatre Research International and is the Australian Drama Series Editor for Brill Scholarly Press, Amsterdam.
The Faculty Board and the Arts Faculty Executive Committee chaired by the Dean are the two key governance fora for the Faculty of Arts, with the Humanities Foundation Board established in 2013 to oversee the Faculty’s fundraising efforts in support of the humanities disciplines.
Arts Faculty Executive Committee (AFEC) membership:
- Chair, Professor Denise Varney, Dean
- Professor John Murphy (Deputy Dean)
- Professor Trevor Burnard, Head, School of Historical and Philosophical Studies
- Professor Professor Jennifer Milam, School of Culture and Communication
- Professor Pookong Kee, Director, Asia Institute
- Professor Alfredo Martinez-Exposito, Head, School of Languages and Linguistics
- Associate Professor Parshia Lee-Stecum, Associate Dean, Teaching and Learning
- Associate Professor Kate MacNeill, Associate Dean, Graduate Studies and Research Training
- Professor Karen Farquharson, Head, School of Social and Political Sciences
- Professor Andrew May, Associate Dean, Research
- Associate Professor Sara Wills, Associate Dean, Engagement and Advancement
- Ms. Joanne Ligouris, Faculty Executive Director
Arts Faculty Board
The Faculty Board considers key matters of Faculty business for the purpose of wider collegial consultation, including consideration of the minutes of the Faculty Standing Committees. The Board comprises nominees from the Faculty Schools, representatives of other Faculties and University bodies, and student representatives.
Faculty Standing Committees:
- Bachelor of Arts Course Standing Committee
- Research Committee
- Teaching and Learning Committee
- Committee of Disciplines
- Research Training Committee
- Engagement Committee
- Graduate Studies Committee
- Equal Opportunity and Diversity Committee
- Library Committee