German Studies has a strong reputation in both teaching and research, and an impressive publishing record over a broad range of topics.
Our program has a proud history of more than a century at the University of Melbourne. It provides an intimate study environment with excellent access to talented and enthusiastic teaching staff with wide ranging interests in German language and culture.
Undergraduate students can study German language at beginner, intermediate or advance, and choose from a range of advanced background study options on a broad range of linguistic, literature, film and cultural topics.
Study with us
German is a major world language, and a knowledge of German opens up the rich culture of German-speaking Europe and its history. Learn more about our:
- Diploma in Languages
- Graduate Diploma in Arts
- Single subjects as part of our Community Access Program
- Bachelor of Arts German Studies major (take our online Language Placement Test to see which level you should enrol in)
- Bachelor of Arts (Degree with Honours)
- Master of Arts (Thesis Only)
- Master of Arts (Advanced Seminar and Shorter Thesis)
- Doctor of Philosophy – Arts
- Scholarships and prizes
Our strong links with universities in German-speaking countries give students the opportunity to complete part of their studies overseas through scholarships and exchange programs. We have exchange agreements with:
- Humboldt-Universität Berlin
- Freie Universität Berlin
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität Munich
- Universität Wien (University of Vienna).
Download the Exchange Guide (PDF 243.1 KB) for more information.
Explore our research projects
We have research strengths in German literature from 16th to 20th Centuries; current German literature from the former GDR; German culture and philosophy; European studies; Historical linguistics and aspects of German; German teaching methodology; and structural linguistics.
Meet our German Studies staff
Our academics are leading teachers, researchers and industry professionals.
Associate Professor in German Studies
Associate Professor in German Studies; Convenor, German Studies
Senior Lecturer in German Studies
Associate Lecturer in German Studies
Teaching Specialist in German Studies