The CONREP Publication Support Prize for Refugees: Call for Submissions
The deadline for submissions is 2 July 2021
The Comparative Network on Refugee Externalisation (CONREP) is now seeking submissions for the Publication Support Prize for Refugees. This award aims to provide support to a person of refugee background to produce either a journal article, book chapter or policy report in the area of asylum and migration externalisation studies.
CONREP researches the impact and effects of refugee externalisation practiced by Australia, the EU and its member states. Entries for this prize must relate to at least one of CONREP’s five core themes:
- Governance: the implications of externalisation policies adopted by state and non-state actors at different levels of governance
- Legitimacy: the impact of externalisation policies on the legitimacy of states and regional bodies
- Responsibility: the effects of the exercise and the delegation of legal and political responsibility on refugees affected by externalisation
- Democracy: how externalisation limits the exposure of these practices to the scrutiny of regional and domestic democratic institutions
- Human rights: the impact of externalisation policies on access to human rights protections for refugees and asylum seekers
The prize is valued at €1,000 EUR ($1,500 AUD). The prize will be awarded at the CONREP’s final showcase event (anticipated in October 2021). The prize winner will be given the opportunity to present on some of their initial research and how it contributes to the CONREP research themes at this final event.
- The submission must be made by a person of refugee background. Applicants must submit documentary proof of refugee status determination
Applicants are to submit the following submission documents to CONREP (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading title: ‘Submission for the CONREP Public Support Prize for Refugees (Name of Applicant)’ by Friday 2 July 2021 (late entries will not be accepted).
- A brief description of your professional experiences, studies or research in the field of refugees, borders, frontiers, migration or human rights in the last 5 years (max 2 pages)
- A short description of the research project and how the proposed publication fits with CONREP objectives and themes (max 1 page)
- The title of your proposed publication and an abstract (300 words), including relevant resources e.g. bibliography, interviews
- A statement on the current stage of development of the publication, the proposed publisher/outlet, the intended submission date to the publisher/outlet, and how the prize will be used to advance the publication (max 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages)
- Two reference letters
- A witnessed/certified Statutory Declaration that you will undertake the research and produce the stated publication output by the proposed submission date stated in your application
The two reference letters are to be sent confidentially by the referee to CONREP (email@example.com) with the subject heading title: ‘Reference for (Full Name of the Applicant) for the CONREP Public Support Prize for Refugees’ by Friday 2 July 2021.
Please ensure that each of the document file names are clear with your full name stated in the title.
The entry will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- Quality, originality and excellence of the proposed publication
- Relevance to CONREP’s objectives and core themes of the proposed publication
- Clear identification and contribution to the research field of the proposed publication
- Expected impact of the work both in academia and, if relevant, on policy of the proposed publication
- Applicant profile (quality of the applicant’s curriculum vitae and professional experience, research or studies related to the award, referee assessment)
The prize winners will be selected by a committee composed of one member from each CONREP partner university. The CONREP Selection Committee reserves the right not to award prizes.
Applicants will be informed of the outcome by 10 September 2021.
For further information, please contact Tamara Tubakovic